• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reviving Overclockix - Any takers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I also have a copy of the latest overclockix release - enablingwolf had archived a copy just in case it may disappear from the internets someday. :)

just to verify that i am looking at the latest copy, is the one you have version 3.8? the ISO i found boots with what i am assuming is italian in the startup messages but boots to english in the gui.

right now i am looking at possibly using debian wheezy (testing) as the build platform. i honestly don't know if i will have enough time in my schedule to try to spearhead this or not but i am certainly looking into it. i've never customized a live distro before so this is all new to me as well so if someone has more experience and would like to take charge more, then by all means do it. i also have been out of the DC bit for a while so i don't know how things work these days so i would certainly need some scripts written for those. that might be a good place to start for some people who simply want to contribute with some script writing of sorts.

distributed computing (f@h, seti, rosetta, etc)

*edit: i've also been loooking into potentially remastering the existing knoppix distro by just updating it. that would certainly be quite a job seeing as the kernel is at 2.6.9 :eek:

Last edited:
so what sorts of programs would you like to see if i use debian wheezy (testing)?

here is a short list of what i have so far and it is not even close to a final list:

build-essential
gparted
hdparm
htop
iceweasel
iotop
less
lm-sensors
openssh-client
pidgin
screen
sensors-applet

phoronix test suite
conky

Others I'm not thinking of... Haven't ran linux for a few months, package names are escaping me.

so what sorts of programs would you like to see if i use debian wheezy (testing)?

here is a short list of what i have so far and it is not even close to a final list:

build-essential
gparted
hdparm
htop
iceweasel
iotop
less
lm-sensors
openssh-client
pidgin
screen
sensors-applet

couple of sugestions:
mprime http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8391177&postcount=7 http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/
edit: not sure if of the licensing of mprime
Conky
palimpsest/gnome-disk-utility or something similar

im sure I will remember a few others soon

Last edited:
baobab - disk usage analyzer
ntfs3g/FUSE - not sure exactly what its called off the top of my head, but the stuff that makes mounting and working with NTFS volumes seamless is what I am intending to suggest

Program suggestions should all be compiled into a single post somewhere. :thup:

*moved the application list here*

added conky and phoronix

i really need to figure out how to do more customization of all the branding to change it from debian to whatever but that can certainly come later... compiling a list of programs seems like the best way to get started. when it comes to test apps, i would like to try to stay within the debian or 3rd party repos as much as possible because keeping other applications up to date can be a huge pain if i would end up needing to compile them from source...

i will try to keep a list of applications that have been installed as well as suggested applications. like i said, this probably a bit hackish how i am doing this right now but i am still in the testing phase to see if i know what i am doing for sure :p.

Last edited:
I think you are doing great Matt. Best way to get something off the ground is to start moving it. Making sure you are moving in the right direction can come later, after we get a start. :)

after spending a good half of my day toying with things, i have a quick and bootable ISO. right now, it is pretty massive considering it doesn't really have a whole lot (600 MB) but slimming it down will come later. a good part of that is because i am using gnome-core but i am sure there are ways i can shrink it down more and i have plenty of time to do that in the future.

ntfs-3g is a must, and I'd recommend switching Chromium for Iceweasel once it hits the appropriate level of maturity.

Edit: What about XFCE for the DE?

Another vote for Chromium, Iceweasel version in Wheezy is 3.5.17, lagging for unknown reasons behind even Firefox-for- Ubuntu 10.04, which is version 3.6.15.

The rest of the list looking good. ;)

edited for typos.

ntfs-3g is a must, and I'd recommend switching Chromium for Iceweasel once it hits the appropriate level of maturity.

Edit: What about XFCE for the DE?

i have thought about xfce and i might have to give that a try in another tree to see about what size i can get things down to.

might be worth reading here
http://bodmas.org/pages/20100713--linux_ubuntu_lucid_light_gnome.html

Im not sure how much of the gnome extras you have installed, but striping gnome down could help with the space, I did that same on my netbook.

i am using the gnome-core install without any extras which is pretty much what they have going on there. gnome-core is still pretty fat by itself :)

Another vote for Chromium, Iceweasel version in Wheezy is 3.5.17, lagging for unknown reasons behind even Firefox-for- Ubuntu 10.04, which is version 3.6.15.

The rest of the list looking good. ;)

edited for typos.

yeah, i use chromium very frequently. i might consider switching if enough people think it would be worthwhile. i really don't want to have duplicates of too many (any) applications to save on size if at all possible.

just a little update... i created an xfce based iso with all of the same apps as listed above and it comes to 440M. definitely a huge improvement and the xfce interface is very simple to use. i think there might be something there... i've used it in a limited capacity before and it seems like a nice middle group between the designs of kde and gnome. i might throw up the xfce ISO on my server if anyone would be interested in pulling it down for some initial playing with. i have just been using it in a virtual machine so i don't waste CDs but it seems to work fine for me.

You might also consider LXDE. It is quickly becoming my "light-weight" DE of choice

As for the browser I have been liking the FF 4 beta that is in with 11.04 mythbuntu.... i finally upgraded my media centre after finding log files from 2009 april on there. It was having playback issues so I figured it was time to upgrade but I digress

Back