• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rig from july 2008. want to upgrade my graphics card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A 2GB card with the AMD logo next to the PCIE connector.

how would one see this until after they buy it? also is a 3d mark 2006 score something i can judge the performance difference between the 8800gt and the 6950?

Last edited:
if i went with the 6950 and flashed it to 6970 with the specs in sig...how many watts should my psu be?

if i went with the 6950 and flashed it to 6970 with the specs in sig...how many watts should my psu be?

Your PSU should be fine, although the quality of that PSU is rather questionable. A good 450W is the minimum I would recommend for a 6970.

I've got a power meter and the rig in my signature uses about 400W while running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously.

I recommend you upgrade your PSU sometime soon, however.

Your PSU should be fine, although the quality of that PSU is rather questionable. A good 450W is the minimum I would recommend for a 6970.

I've got a power meter and the rig in my signature uses about 400W while running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously.

I recommend you upgrade your PSU sometime soon, however.

the psu broke when the mobo died so im in the market for a new one. you dont think i should go for something higher than 500?

the psu broke when the mobo died so im in the market for a new one. you dont think i should go for something higher than 500?

If you're buying a new PSU then have a look at the Corsair TX series. They're a reasonably well priced PSU, and they're quite a very good quality brand as well.

A good power supply should last 10 years if you don't stick it in an overheated or dirty environment. With that in mind, I'd get the Corsair 850 TX. Mainly because PSU's are most efficient in their mid-range, and run cooler (which means that on average, they last longer, and save money). Also, it allows you a nice level of upgrade in the years ahead, if you'd like to (likely with the gpu), without having to buy another power supply.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has the connectors you need. I did not check the connectors needed for your gpu or mobo.

i cant seem to find a reference card anywhere on newegg. can someone point me in the right direction?

i cant seem to find a reference card anywhere on newegg. can someone point me in the right direction?

An easy way to spot a reference design card is by the AMD or NVIDIA silkscreen logo above the PCIE connector on the card. A non-reference design will have the card brand (ie, ASUS or Gigabyte) on the connector, rather than the GPU manufacturer. Some brand marked cards are still reference but it is safe to go for a manufacturer marked card when you want reference.

An easy way to spot a reference design card is by the AMD or NVIDIA silkscreen logo above the PCIE connector on the card. A non-reference design will have the card brand (ie, ASUS or Gigabyte) on the connector, rather than the GPU manufacturer. Some brand marked cards are still reference but it is safe to go for a manufacturer marked card when you want reference.

The problem was that most dont have that amd logo like that or at least it isnt too obvious. also, if i were to look anywhere else like ebay, the images of the product may not actually be the specific model regardless of whether the auction displays a picture of it. people on ebay for example can just state that ebay suggested said pic and loaded it on there for them.

Your CPU and GPU are nearly identical to mine...I also run my setup on dual monitors (with a 720p plasma).
Although I dont game at all -- I use the tv to play movies while I work -- I dont think you'd have much trouble with your current setup. But I'd play it safe and just spend the $125 - $150 on an upgraded card and not have to worry at all.

And I agree with the others, SLI in this instance is a bad idea.

Your CPU and GPU are nearly identical to mine...I also run my setup on dual monitors (with a 720p plasma).
Although I dont game at all -- I use the tv to play movies while I work -- I dont think you'd have much trouble with your current setup. But I'd play it safe and just spend the $125 - $150 on an upgraded card and not have to worry at all.

And I agree with the others, SLI in this instance is a bad idea.

yeah. that graphics card was awesome. it performed better than the 9800gt... ti died though when my pc fried so im getting a new card Diamond Radeon HD 6950 2gb flashed to 6970. now im tryinhg to figure out with a certainty how many watts i need.

Back