• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA issues with Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

A close friend of mine wanted to build his first desktop. He was going to go with a barebones pre-built system and I convinced him he should buy the pieces himself, and most certainly from Newegg. He was wary of Newegg but I assured him he would be taken care of as I've spent thousands with Newegg myself, and convinced many other to do the same, and I've always been taken care of.

One of his 4 RAM slots was defective. I wasn't with him when he assembled the computer, but he asked me a lot of questions during it, and we're both fairly certain that the slot was defective and not his fault. He was just going to take the hit and suck it up, but I told him that Newgg CS was top notch and would do everything they could to help if it wasn't his fault.

Newegg determined it was damaged by the user. That sucks, but at least he got it checked. When he got the motherboard back, a second slot was broke. He's going to contact CS again but the Army just moved him to HI about a month ago. He's been sitting on a board-less desktop for weeks now due to shipping back and forth from there and I have a feeling they're just going to tell him to send it back again. Is there anything that he can do to mitigate some of this pain? Someone specific he can talk to? Some special passphrase he needs to use in the support ticket?

I feel terrible here because I convinced him to use Newegg, then the motherboard is messed up(whether his issue or Neweggs), then I convince him to RMA it and another slot is broken now. Hell, posting this for him will probably break something else on it.

They're saying it's user damage, but where? I'm not sure how you damage a memory slot.

Not to completely scare everyone from newegg, but I've read on another forum that newegg CS might be causing damage to the motherboards. Actually read a few other bad stories about newegg's RMA department. Two items that I'd always take pictures of and possibly video before sending in, is Motherboard and a video card. Everything else is hard to damage/Deny RMA, while a motherboard and video card have all sorts of little components that a company will try to deny coverage for, or could break themselves then blame it on you.

Might try sending a message to NewEgg Support here. Their presence has been somewhat sporadic over time, though, and they haven't posted in over a year.

Back