• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RT coming to WoT-nVidia need not apply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

It seems ray tracing will be coming to World Of Tanks, news of that starts at 6:22 here

In the interest of fairness, I have poo pooed RT regarding the games I play because it hasn't been a factor. It seems that will change. In my defense, I won't have to buy a horrifically priced RTX card to take advantage of it. LOL Wargaming and Intel (!) have teamed up for this implementation and I, for one, am curious to see where this goes. Or doesn't go. Team Green let the genie out of the ray traced bottle; now let's see who gets the three wishes!

I gave up on RT with my RTX 270 it killed my FPS. I need to maintain 144 FPS on my 1080p 144Hz monitor for reduced motion blur. Hopefully the can make RT with excellent FPS when gaming.

With Intel and lower tier game titles getting involved, the revolution may not be upon us, but it does seem to be coming.

Considering ray tracing dead may be, in a way, naive. It does create some fascinating lighting effects. All we need is technology to catch up. Ray tracing is being used in movies to create realistic effects. It takes a while to render those shots though. Once tech is able to provide acceptable realtime performance for games, it'll take off!

Fascinating!!

I can't speak to nVidia's implementation, but real time ray tracing itself seems to have caught the interest of a wider audience than just Green fans. With the rumors of it coming to consoles, the above news, and mob psychology in play, we're probably stuck with it. :D

I can't speak to nVidia's implementation, but real time ray tracing itself seems to have caught the interest of a wider audience than just Green fans. With the rumors of it coming to consoles, the above news, and mob psychology in play, we're probably stuck with it. :D

For me the real question is. Is the way Nvidia implement ray tracing dead? If ray tracing is on consoles then it will be using AMDs technology. Game developers may find it easier to utilise the same technology across the board rather than having to work with two different types. Of course it may not work like that.

It seems to be encoded in the game. I don't know what the requirements are as far as decoding but that seems to be in the hardware and/or the API? These are my guesses, however. So, grain of salt, etc..

For me the real question is. Is the way Nvidia implement ray tracing dead? If ray tracing is on consoles then it will be using AMDs technology. Game developers may find it easier to utilise the same technology across the board rather than having to work with two different types. Of course it may not work like that.

I don’t believe ray tracing is specific to Nvidia or AMD. Both companies can/will be utilizing the same software.

I never said it was never going to be a thing. I did underestimate the enthusiasm of the industry as a whole, though. When it was confined to a handful of games and the people who bought 2080/2080 Ti cards it was definitely a niche. Hell, it still is, but with the Big 3 hitting it from all sides now I would expect more and faster progress than when it was just ol' Jason out there shilling. :D

Now I wonder if competition will make it affordable (Intel does have a graphics division) or if it will just be a bigger selection of tech that's out of my reach. It doesn't seem to be tied to the hardware, and that might put a dent in nVidia's pricing. Can't say as that will hurt my feelings a lot, either. LOL

Back