• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 4090, maybe not that expensive when compared to past halo videocards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep. That's the AI stuff that the GPU and tensor cores handle. ;)

LOL, maybe you changed something else too, I don't know.

I did not. (I'll post some before and after screenshots when it's not Christmas.

It's supposed to improve FPS, and the IQ is supposed to look similar or better (DLSS 3.0+ has done a much better job, it seems).....at least according to a slew of reviews. But beauty/realism is in the eye of the beholder.

What AI settings did you have already that were 'better in every conceivable way'? And to confirm, enabling the DLSS RR made it look like 'a cartoon'?

Correct. DLSS RR made it look like a cartoon. But I've talked about the performance hit you take enabling RR like several times before (must not have caught what I was saying). I don't even see how it's conceivable that you could enhance graphics AND, simultaneously increase performance... That doesn't make any sense. Just go back to the last screenshots I posted. The benchmarks. I was getting 67fps with DLSS (vsync off), and like 48fps with DLSS RR.

Enabling RR kinda changed... well the saturation for one... and a bit of the contrast. I could explain it in photographic terms... but it would be easier to just upload screenshots. (Or... if you have Cyberpunk... you could just load it up and see for yourself.)

Ah wait! I don't even have to do that! Look at that YouTube thumbnail: first three images are like a silver/gray. The RR image? Straight up PURPLE.

THAT'S what I'm talking about. That's what I don't like. Look at the floor... It's gray or silver. RR enabled? It's PURPLE.

Now imagine that across the whole screen. It looks ridiculous.

As far as the performance hit... You don't need to load the game for proof of that. Just go back to the previous page and look at the benchmark screenshots I took and the accompanying explanations.

Edit: For sure. It's where the glass ceiling starts. ~10% slower (like a tier of gpu slower) than a slew of other CPUs all within margin of error. In a game like this and at a resolution where every fps counts, you can see why the CPU is critical in reaching your gpu's potential. Clearly not every title or situation is like this, but 4c/8t and 6c/6t cpus several generations old do present an artifical limit compared to more modern options. Playing games at 4k hides that a lot better than 1080p.

Well... it's not that it "hides" that... it makes the CPU that you have irrelevant. Like I wonder what kind of CPU you would need to get really DECENT fps at 4k...

So I don't know if there would be a dramatic change in fps, in 4K, if I went up to a 12700k or a 14600k.

Kenrou's charts kinda drive that point home.

Last edited:
Ah wait! I don't even have to do that! Look at that YouTube thumbnail: first three images are like a silver/gray. The RR image? Straight up PURPLE.
That looks more realistic to me. In my head, there's going to be some ambient bleed (in addition to the slight direct reflection) of those LEDs on that surface. Perhaps not as much as in the 4th image, but not none at all like the other three.

As far as performance goes. I don't have this game, nor do I play with a lot of those features (most titles I play don't have them, lol). But you see the progression in FPS there from that video. And, that's what it does, compared to not using DLSS. Perhaps DLSS with nothing else is the 'fastest' but when adding some features it slows down. I don't know what the settings are, however.

So I don't if there would be a dramatic change in fps, in 4K, if I went up to a 12700k or a 14600k.
Well... it's not that it "hides" that... it makes the CPU that you have irrelevant.
Sure. I was just pointing out that the resilience you see is because of how you game (at 4K/GPU bound res). If you game at 1080p (the majority), it doesn't really stand up compared to other CPUs. :)

That looks more realistic to me. In my head, there's going to be some ambient bleed (in addition to the slight direct reflection) of those LEDs on that surface. Perhaps not as much as in the 4th image, but not none at all like the other three.

As far as performance goes. I don't have this game, nor do I play with a lot of those features (most titles I play don't have them, lol). But you see the progression in FPS there from that video. And, that's what it does, compared to not using DLSS. Perhaps DLSS with nothing else is the 'fastest' but when adding some features it slows down. I don't know what the settings are, however.

Sure. I was just pointing out that the resilience you see is because of how you game (at 4K/GPU bound res). If you game at 1080p (the majority), it doesn't really stand up compared to other CPUs. :)

Well thank goodness I don't! hahahaha :D

As far as gray concrete turning completely violet because there's a violet light above it looking normal to you... well... Ford Prefect from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was a little off, too... (but he hid it pretty good by pretending to be an out-of-work actor.) :D

Like I said, when it's not Christmas, I'll post examples. Just imagine that happening when there's no conceivable light source around. Grays and browns suddenly turning into purples and pinks in the dead of night.

THAT's what I meant by the game turning into a cartoon. That stuff simply doesn't happen unless you're literally on the streets of Shinjuku in Tokyo.

As for DLSS RR... I get your point... but, more specifically: It's not improving performance, OBVIOUSLY, over DLSS without RR. It's improving image quality by simulating ray tracing and giving you better fps than you would get if you DID have ray tracing enabled.

But you absolutely, 100%, take a performance hit versus not having ray tracing enabled at all and just having DLSS active. (At least you do the way I have my game setup. And that setup can be seen in the screenshots I uploaded.)

Gotcha... yeah, I havent seen much outside of NV PR stuff and images from reviews. But it looks pretty good from what I've seen.

Again RE: performance, look at the video posted. With all that has to offer, including RR showed FPS improvements.

You've mentioned screenshots you uploaded, but, where? Lol... ill guess the 2077 thread?

Let's continue in the cyberpunk thread. ;)

Merry Xmas!! :)

Gotcha... yeah, I havent seen much outside of NV PR stuff and images from reviews. But it looks pretty good from what I've seen.

Again RE: performance, look at the video posted. With all that has to offer, including RR showed FPS improvements.

You've mentioned screenshots you uploaded, but, where? Lol... ill guess the 2077 thread?

Let's continue in the cyberpunk thread. ;)

Merry Xmas!! :)

WHAAAAAT?!?! You mean this ISN'T the Cyberpunk thread?!?!?!?! hahahahahha! :D :D :D

Merry Xmas! <3

Back