• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running 24-7: safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well true in the home user sense but in industry like mills they get replaced when we remember they are there lol, one of the mills is still running an 8088 as a proses controller, and alot of the nods tend to be P2s

You mean my PC's can be turned off??!?!?!?!?!!

Actually I did have to shut one off today, my TT smart fan2 grenade'd.......
Not a pretty site.....:D

Do you remember when you last blew out a lightbulb? Was it at the point of turning it on? There is more work for capacitors and resistors to deal with on surge and brown than steady stream.

I always run my personal systems 24/7 and it is one of the reasons why I use the cooling I do as if I was in standby or off when not in use there would not be so much reason for extra cooling.

Just my personal opinion though.

R

been running mine non-stop for some months now. around 48C load all the time. I disagree about the servers. I think people in the enthusiast market like us take better care to cooling heatsink-wise.

veryhumid said:
been running mine non-stop for some months now. around 48C load all the time. I disagree about the servers. I think people in the enthusiast market like us take better care to cooling heatsink-wise.

yes i agree, i am only 15, but i work on some large servers in my city ..repair and cleaning. maybe the odd 30 disk format..

but some of them servers..well.. the newest one i worked on.. was infact watercooled.. it was runing at 57° C .. found out that they never put themal paste on.. jezz

after cleaning the water.. and putting thermalpaste on.. it was at 32°. but then again, if your a 200K doller companay ..last thing u think of is how good your servers running :rolleyes:

unlike us.. well.. i got the window off every day to make sure everytings running good ..and a few things of that compreassed air in a can once a week ...

The theory is, when your processor turns on and off, (heats up and cools down), it expands and retracts. Leaving your computer constantly running is better because it doesn't have near as much expansion/retraction. Or so the theory goes.

And if no one agrees with me, I guess it is my theory then. LOL!

Back