• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running low FPS on the Windows 10 desktop after upgrades...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightPatrol

Registered
Hey,

After upgrading my APU to an i7-6700k and my mb to a Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming7, I'm getting really low framerates on the windows desktop.
Icons on the desktop take 1-2 seconds to actually highlight when my mouse is over them, open windows drag at low framerates. My mouse seems to work fine though. Games work fine. In CS:GO I get 150-200 fps. I have all my drivers installed and everything. I also am very cautious of my downloads and programs. Here is a link to all the components in my PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/f2D8KZ

Hope any of you could help. Thanks!

When you swapped out your APU to the Intel rig you reinstalled windows or was it carried over from the other rig?

You installed the chipset and ME drivers from the motherboard website (not the disk)?

FPS really isn't the issue here. ;)

Nope, I didn't touch my SSD (boot drive), i just installed the drivers. When I did the first boot, it said something like "Preparing Hardware" under the logo when booting, but that's about it.

Be clear. Did you use your old windows on the new machine? Again, did you install the chipset and ME drivers from the website or driver disk which is potentially outdated?

Yeah, I used my old windows on my new machine. I installed off the disk, and now that you mention it, they are probably outdated. I'll uninstall them and install the drivers from the site and get back to you.

Wow, okay. I went to the Gigabyte page for my motherboard and downloaded the drivers. All went well, with the exception of the Intel VGA driver, which says "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". I assume that is for onboard graphics.

The old windows on the new machine may be the problem. If the driver updates do not work, I would make a fresh reinstall of windows. Sometimes it works transfering old windows over, sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT: You can also try a sysprep and reinstall drivers...

EDIT2: Why would you install VGA drivers when you are not using the onboard VGA? Do you install everything on the page? Not a great practice! Only install what you need.

Alright, a fresh install is a good idea. I'll re install, then get back to you. Thank you for your quick help!

Back