• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 7 3800X - Different Boost Clocks with different motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...boost-clocks-with-different-motherboards.html

TLDR: "Cinebench R20 was run three times in a single-core test and that will read out the maximum boost clock monitored with HWiNFO64. The AMD for the Ryzen 7 3800X reached a boost clock of tan advertised 4,500 MHz on a number of six motherboards. Then three mainboards hit 4,475 MHz and two 4,465 MHz. A total of three mainboards could not reach a higher boost clock than 4.375 MHz.It doesn't seem that the AGESA (firmware) impacts the boost clock much."

Across six motherboards, countless bios'/agesa, my 3800x has never hit its rated boost clocks.

I'm glad to find someone already started a thread for this, as I was about to :D. Here is a more detailed description of the test.
Also I'd like to point this out:

Across six motherboards, countless bios'/agesa, my 3800x has never hit its rated boost clocks.

That sucks EarthDog. I assume this is on liquid as well? My feeling on all of this is two fold. On one hand with Zen+ people complained that their CPUs had a maximum boost clock, wishing that XFR2/Precision Boost/PBO would take the CPU higher if able. On the other hand, I think AMD is trying to meet up or at least get closer to rumors of higher clocks, and to some extent false advertising. They've been bashed hard for a presentation that mentioned a clock of 4.8GHz, something no stock CPU can do, and even with "AutoOC" enabled (this increases the max boost by 200MHz) while theoretically possible it hasn't been seen real world. I feel like they could have gotten away with missing the mark by 50-75MHz with some samples, but that guy writing 4.8GHz on the chalk board really got under people's skin.

The sad part is they don't need to. They're already matching or beating Intel at most price points regardless of if they're hitting a specific clock. However we all know how many consumers still at the end of the day look at clock and not benchmarks. I do think this is their true motivation, and it is disingenuous at best. I find this especially true for a SKU like the 3800X that could have just been sold as a 3700X and met it's advertised boost clocks. I think having a more powerful "AutoOC" or feature to extend the boost clock limitation to satisfy the enthusiasts like myself that always wonder, "how high could it really boost?" meanwhile having a more attainable stock setting would have been a more honest approach.

I've also posted before about the thermal scaling of the CPU, but I have a hard time imagining this having a substantial impact on single core workloads. Maybe EarthDog could comment on that, what kind of temps he is getting running the R20 single core test.

For my part I just wanted to see how significant of a departure this is from Zen+ behavior, since I am honestly pretty guilty of just plugging it in and going, and there wasn't a lot of attention paid to it. I did the single core CinebenchR20 and every single core reached my 2600X's advertised max boost clock of 4250MHz (well 4249.2MHz to be precise, but that just comes down to clock gen, the multiplier was x42.5). Never did I see a thread fully loaded, and it seems that the CPU was sharing the tiles between one or two cores at a time, and then alternating the core doing the work, and at least one core was maintained at 4250MHz for nearly the entire test (some of the runs of easy wall only tiles on the right side saw clocks decrease, as well as some of the difficult couch tiles seemed to cause cores to throttle and switch unexpectedly a couple times). Of course my speculation on what the CPU is actually doing is just that, since I can't see specifically which core(s) is running the render, just thread load percentages. Also this was not with the CPU running stock, memory was at 3200Mhz, PBO enabled, and a negative vcore offset of -0.0635v. I could go back and check stock but I don't think it will change anything.

3x120 aio (h150i).

In aida64, at 1.33V and 42.25x multi, I hit between 90-94C with all c/t. I'd imagine lower than that for cine20 single... so not an issue.

but i mean what is max healthy that wont age the cpu fast?

EarthDog is referring to the Throttle point and basically anything under 95c is a safe temperature for Ryzen 3000 processors.
Generally speaking, there is a 1.5x TDP swing from advertised spec.
This information differs from the term ThermTrip where the processor shuts down.

According to AMD, High Temperature Integer Threshold - The high temperature threshold specifies the CPU temperature that causes ALERT_L to assert if the CPU temperature is
greater than or equal to the threshold. SBTSI::HiTempInt and SBTSI::HiTempDec combine to specify the high temperature threshold Reset value equals 70 °C. Write access causes a reset of the alert history counters and the corresponding timer.
In short, It may be to the wiser to keep daily running temps below 70c. as the high temp threshold reset value is at 70c and won't reset until at or below this temperature.
Also around 60-70c, most boards will have the Cpu fan at max rpm if nobody has noticed.

Well there's nothing that states X temp isn't safe. The Cpu controls it'self quite well to prevent any damage or early degradation.

You'd worry more about how much voltage you use while manually overclocking.

AMD specifies maximum temp as 95°C what is also a throttling point (as long as the CPU runs at auto settings). You can run these chips at least up to 115°C without bigger problems and at least on my chips it wasn't causing stability issues (but clearly I didn't like to see that). Considering all that, I assume (but it's not in any way confirmed and probably never will) that the safe temp is up to 95°C as it was specified by AMD as CPUs maximum working temperature.

Max safe voltage is AMD specified one so 1.425-1.450V. You can read a value for your CPU in BIOS. However safe is when with the given voltage is going safe temperature. Also depends on the chip, higher temp may cause stability issues when CPU frequency is higher than specified. There are some variables which for every chip are a bit different.
Simply, try to keep max temps below 95°C and adjust voltage so it won't be higher than the 1.45V for 24/7 work and then the chip shouldn't degrade faster.

There does seem to be some thermally related clock reduction below 95C. For example, with my cooler switch between D9L and Wraith Prism, the latter is ball park 10C hotter under same test load, and also runs 25-50MHz lower. I don't know if it is directly related to temperature, or indirectly, e.g. if increased leakage at higher temps means ppt is hit earlier. I wasn't looking at ppt values in detail at the time, but I was running against it as limiter.

Back