• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S.M.A.R.T. Drive Monitor Software Opensource/Freeware Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenJelly

Damn... Brand new Drive in a 3 5 inch drive bay Dies do to fan failure.

The problem wasn't that the fan died (They often do), but that the Drive SMART Features failed to warn me of high temps and other issues.

I cant believe Vista doesnt support and monitor and warn of SMART info warnings. Does anyone know of a freeware/open source application that will monitor these drives?

Thanks
Jelly

Smart fan includes HD SMART features, but it is a horrible program (Bloat ware and an Abandoned project).

Unless your insane and go crazy doing research, I find its near impossible to figure out which address is which fan, and which hard drive. You often get incorrect addresses that Smartfan thinks are temp censors, but instead could be anything. For all we know the address may be the a pixel/command variable for your video card.

GreenJelly said:
Smart fan includes HD SMART features, but it is a horrible program (Bloat ware and an Abandoned project).

Unless your insane and go crazy doing research, I find its near impossible to figure out which address is which fan, and which hard drive. You often get incorrect addresses that Smartfan thinks are temp censors, but instead could be anything. For all we know the address may be the a pixel/command variable for your video card.
Do you mean to say "SpeedFan"? I haven't used its SMART monitoring capabilities, but I've always been able to configure auto fan speed control properly for my CPU and GPU fans.

All of the motherboards I have ever owned have SMART monitoring included in the BIOS. You probably just need to enable it, and it will halt the boot process and report an error if a SMART warning is detected.

Back