• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same RAM Chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark617

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...010115-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231518-S1A4A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I have asked between other G.Skill items, but just want to confirm, only difference "should" be the heatsinks, right? I realize depending on manufactured date, there could be differences with chips etc., but all things being equal, it's just the heatsinks.
It's hard to say with 100% accuracy because NewEgg doesn't show the serial # on the kits but in all likely hood they are the same.

It's hard to say with 100% accuracy because NewEgg doesn't show the serial # on the kits but in all likely hood they are the same.

If I called the Egg, and if they were willing to give me the serial numbres (which I assume is merely a pipe dream), what would I look for? I know in many of Woomack's reviews he has differentiated between Samsung chips and others.

It could even change between similar sets though I assume. So I could get a good pair or a weaker pair within the Ares / Sniper series. So, is there a way to guarantee the good chips? Beg someone to find me one manufactured in xx / xxxx, has serial numbers with xx or whatever?

Even if you know the serial number and say they are considered "good chips" doesn't guarantee they will OC well if that is the goal. It's always a silicon lottery, you never know what you'll get. That said there are definitely some Ic's that Oc better then others. Here is a good page to visit, the website is down right now for maintenance but it shows you what serial numbers are for what Ic's on G. Skill ram. Here is another.

Even if you know the serial number and say they are considered "good chips" doesn't guarantee they will OC well if that is the goal. It's always a silicon lottery, you never know what you'll get. That said there are definitely some Ic's that Oc better then others. Here is a good page to visit, the website is down right now for maintenance but it shows you what serial numbers are for what Ic's on G. Skill ram. Here is another.

Awesome. Thank you very much! :thup:

Most G.Skills were like:
2133 9-11-10 = Hynix ( ARES, Sniper, RipjawsX, RipjawsZ )
2133 9-11-11 = Samsung ( RipjawsZ, TridentX )

It's still not guaranteed what will be inside but it's a high chance there will be similar Hynix IC.

Back