• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung laptop power problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time-Bandit

Hi all,

I have a Samsung laptop that I am trying to get going again.

The laptop will power on only for a few seconds before turning off right away.

The above issue happens both when trying to turn on via battery power and when plugged in at a power source.

Sometimes I am able to get it to boot up and it might work pefectly for that day or it will freeze, I go to reboot the laptop then it does the near instant shut off thing after a few seconds.

So far have checked its not;

• Ram related
  • CPU fan
  • HDD
  • All connections have been pulled out and put back in
  • Battery works properly
  • DVD Drive

My question is, Can I failing/dying bio battery cause this?

If not what tools would I need to get so I can check the motherboard to pin point where the failure is? (Never done this before so this will be a first time thing).

Need to get this back up and working so I can return it to my folks.

Cheers,

Bandit.

Usually, when the CMOS battery is shot all that happens is that the bios settings return to default factory settings and you lose time and date or any other custom settings but it will still boot. The basic low level firmware information needed to power the device is hardwired onto the chip.

Ok so CMOS battery is out of the way, another odd thing this laptop is doing after leaving it for sometime it will power back on normally again with or w/o the battery being used.

I managed to use it no problem for the last couple of hours but I imagine it will not work again in the morning like it has been doing (perhaps its not fond of mornings).

Still stuck as I couldn't see anything on the motherboard that could have indicated a solder may need to be done on a specific place on the board again. I am really stumped on this one (this is why I am not to fond of laptop issues that are a non software related).

Motherboard failure without visible signs is very common. But have you tried flashing the bios? The behavior you have described could be related to a corrupt bios or a failing bios chip.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/np300e5a

There are several versions of that same laptop with slightly different model numbers appended. Probably represents different markets they were sold in. Which one do you have?

From that link, what I see is a bios update utility but I don't see any actual bios files? Does the utility seek them out on Samsung's website maybe?

Just tried with the exe utility from the website.

The system BIOS version is 09QA, that being said when I try to update the BIOS with the utility it states the current BIOS is newer than the one that will be flashed and it won't proceed.

ne4rG05.png

Well, that answers that question.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Is it possible to replace the mobo with a pulled used mobo from ebay?

I might have to do that.

I used this to try and flash the BIOS that was downloaded with the Samsung Update software - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/samsung-laptops-roll-back-bios-updates.696197/

Still getting an error about the current BIOS being newer even though the dates on the one I just downloaded being more recent than the current one. I used the flash utility to get me a backup of the BIOS currently being used to try reflash that but its giving me the same error, this time it is saying there is a newer firmware/same firmware already being used and it exits.

Weird. Contact Samsung about this and find out why it's doing that. Is it under warranty?

I think I have solved this issue, tried unplugging things from the motherboard, right hand side of the laptop are two USB ports unplugged the connection from this to the motherboard which killed all power going into the laptop plugged it back in and noticed the laptop remained on for a shorter time than before. Saw some electrical tape which was over part of the mini pcb that was under the two USB ports removed this then tried to power on and the laptop seemed to boot up. Not sure why this was preventing the laptop booting up since I figure this was to stop a short occurring. Put the tape back on lightly and so far its working.

Some kind of short there I'm pretty sure. USB ports get a lot of wear and tear.

This thing is being very inconsistent with working and not working. I removed the CPU and reseated it then it managed to boot. Couldn't see how it could move or come loose at all, no damage on the CPU or board.

Back