• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Radeon 6570 Fan stuck at 0%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seth.meyers

Registered
Hey,
I'm in a bit of a panic here, because my graphics card seems to be having major problems. I've got a reading of 67-69 degrees Celsius when it's idle, and that can't be normal, can it?

The included Catalyst Control Center's "performance" section says the fan speed is at 0%. When I actually open the case, the fan is spinning, but barely. I also tried pulling up the slider for manual fan control, but the speed stays at 0%. SpeedFan also confirms that the fan is at 0%.

I've tried increasing fan speed with SpeedFan (no luck), Catalyst (no luck), and AMD Afterburner (also no luck.)

I'd love to hear any possible solutions, and if you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks!

I'd do a fresh install of your graphics drivers. If that doesn't help, there may be something physically wrong with the fan.

I'd do a fresh install of your graphics drivers. If that doesn't help, there may be something physically wrong with the fan.

OK, After reinstalling the drivers, the fan appears to be properly responding. The temp is down to 37 degrees celsius at idle. Thanks very much for your help, I'll reply again if there's any new information.

The Problem Came Back

Well, the problem with the graphics card fan is back. Despite a fresh install of the drivers, the fan's at 0 and my GPU temp is at 66 deg C. :-/
When I increase the fan speed through Catalyst or MSI Afterburner, it will ramp up for a second or two then back down.
Any suggestions?

bump

Case is not listed in sig.
If you have room the ghetto mod would be using plastic ties to secure a fan over video card.
A fan off an unused CPU cooler might work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150007

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199

An 80x15 mm fan might serve better, (or a 50 or 60 mm?)

Is your video card half height? a smaller fan might serve in that case.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using an Athena Power gaming chassis, literally the cheapest one around. I do have a fan in the side wall of my case ~5-6" away from the GPU. But honestly I'd really rather have a GPU functioning properly on its own.

Also, when I look at the GPU in Catalyst or Afterburner, the activity is around 94% despite the fact that the only running program is one tab in Google Chrome.

In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with a company other than Sapphire. It looks like trying to navigate their customer support is going to be a nightmare.

Back