• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA 3GB vs. 6GB + HDD BM TOOL HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jdl420

Registered
Thanks in advance, this forum has help me tremendously over the years.

1. Currently I'm running a P5Q-Deluxe.(Will update sig soon with rest of hardware)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131297

2. I purchased OCZ 120GB ATG 3. :attn: I'm going to carry this forward to my build next summer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227726

The Question.
Part #1- How much of a difference will I see in performance if I was to upgrade to a 6GB interface?

Part #2- Is this possible though a SATA controller using the PCIxE 4x slots I have available? If so which one's have a good rep and a small price tag.

Part #3- What tool is good to BM my HD performace? I would like to do a comparison on my 7200rpm WD compared to the ATG 3.

Thanks

ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W BX80569Q9550
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

Last edited:
It shows the difference in the NewEgg link you posted.

Read/Write
280/260MBps = 100/100%
525/500MBps = 187/192%

So, a 87% speed increase in reads and 92% increase in writes when using SATAIII over SATAII on that SSD.

There are SATAIII controller cards available. However, I don't know which are the good ones. Also, some boards have trouble booting from a PCIe slot, so if you want the OS on the drive, then just connecting to SATAII will be easiest.

Whether you use SATAII or SATAIII, you'll notice a huge difference in loading things fromt he SSD. I say just use SATAII until you upgrade the motherboard because noticeable difference in the SATAII and SATAIII speeds probably isn't very high unless transferring large files.

I'm using a Vertex 2 (same speeds as your linked drive using SATAII) and it's crazy fast. It's hard to imagine I'd notice something faster with what I do.

I didn't think the specs on my MOBO said SATA II. It states:

SATA 3Gb/s = 8

I took that as being SATA I, so this is why I started to question what the actual R/R rate was going to be.

I'm assuming there is not a difference between SATA I/II?

Seems sort of like a marketing scheme to me if thats the case.

Thanks

I'm really excited for this purchase, every person who I've come across with SSD's say it's a night and day difference I'm just hoping for the same. I've had the itch to upgrade for a little while now, this rig just doesn't seem as fast as it used to be. Maybe I'm just getting less patent, not to mention I want to play some of the new games out with Maxed everything.

SATAI has half the bandwidth as SATAII.

SATAI = 1.5Gb/s (~150MB/s)
SATAII = 3Gb/s (~300MB/s)
SATAIII = 6Gb/s (~600MB/s)

SSD doesn't help with game performance really, just loading times. Depending on resolution, to max out current games you may need to OC that CPU and upgrade your GPU.

Ahhhhhhhh, k thanks for clearing that up. I plan on building a whole new rig for the gaming this is just a start and something to hold me over till ivy. I'm hoping to see a little price drop on Gpus at the start of next year also.

Improvement on the load times for everything was what I am after with this purchase, not just gaming. Thanks for the info the sata thing was a little cloudy I guess I could of just wiki'ed it now that I see how simple it actually is. :bang head

Back