• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA drives show up as removeable devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayer2003

Just built this rig, it has a 40 gig OS drive, and 2 250 gig SATA drives.

Installed my card reader for my digital camera last night, and this morning I notice my hard drives are now being displayed as removeable devices, along with the USB card reader.

How can I remove them from this list?

I don't know what kind of system you are running, but on my NF2, NF3 and NF4 systems, that is how SATA's are shown.

since SATA devices are made to be "hot swapable" then they truely ARE removable devices.

Sata drives are meant to be hot swapped, they are now plug and play drives. That was the reason for the new SATA power connectors, so that you could unplug the drive while it was on without running the risk of shorting something like unplugging a molex while it's on.

yeh, running the new nforce 430 chipset. I knew SATA stuff was hot-swap, but it's just odd that it didn't show up on the system try until I installed my USB reader.

So there is pretty much no way to remove them from that list? I don't want to get rid of that icon as it's handy when I'm using my camera or my usb micro drive.

This is the norm for the new Nforce based chipsets. No worries man! All drives are techincally HOT SWAP ready as the others have stated.

Dom

My raided hdds show hot swappable. I used to worry I'd accidently click stop and kill my array. LOL

It probably did show before, Windoze just hide it until somthing else (card reader) brought it up?

Meh, oh well. 1 minor annnoyance for tons of storage, I can live with it I guess. :p

Back