• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA or Ultra ATA/100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

undefinedundefined

My old IBM 7200rpm 2mb cache ata100 harddrive just choked last week. So right now i'm looking at either a Seagate Ultra ATA/100 7200rpm 8mb cache, or a WD SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache harddrive. The pata one is 50 bucks, and the sata one is 80. Is it worth the extra 30 bucks for a SATA harddrive? Is a average user that plays games and surfs the web ganna even see a difference? So I dont know, should I go for the SATA now, or just wait til SATA 2.0 or something. Thanks.

Athlon XP2500@xp3200 / Muskin 512 PC3500 / Abit NF7-S

Between those two, I would stick with IDE over SATA. If you have more money, I would go to SATA for a WD Raptor 10K RPM drive - with those you would trully see a significant performance increase.

Thanks, ok ill stick with IDE until SATA 2 comes out.

I bought that drive for my latest build. it was my first time installing a SATA hdd. when i went to install windowsXP, it couldn't find a hard drive, so i turned the computer off and opened it up to check the connections. everything was fine. when i started my machin up again, it hanged at "Verifying DMI Pool..." and did nothing else. i popped in an older reliable IDE drive and everything worked. i assumed that i got a bad drive, but i could have done something wrong.

last i saw it was a problem with bios versions after d20. just saw it posted in ABIT forums. in fact it happend to me last week with my other nf7-s board. Particular to Rev. 2 boards. This one was the latest revision..

the mobo is a nf7-s rev. 2 that i bought at newegg a week ago. i am using the bios that came with the board.

i'll bet that its the bios. Try bios d20. or perhaps the latest bios. i've got nf7's running on d20 and d24. looks like tom10167 has bios d27 going so there are some good places to start.

BTW, i got my 2nd nf7 about the same time as u from newegg. shipped with bios d22.

I flashed the 2.4 BIOS and everything is working like a charm. thanks for the help.

Back