• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB X-Fi (Fatal1ty) starts screeching on games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eichhorn18

Hi, my specs are the following:

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
Q9450 2.66GHz
4GB OCZ DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire HD 4870 512mb
2x 150gb western digital raptor
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty
Corsair TH750W psu

anyway. my sound runs fine for everything in the os and system sounds. movies run fine as well as music and online content. When I load a game however the game starts out running fine and at some point, whether 30 minutes or 1 hour into playing the game freezes and the sound starts screeching a high pitch terrible noise.

Anyone know whats may be going on?

Thanks

interesting, I had that problem using my x-fi before as well, was very intermittent though. I think I traced it down to the card overheating when I had my computer in a desk lol.

This could be possible I suppose. I did put the sound card above the my graphics card.. maybe. I'll try using my mobo onboard audio and see if I get the same problem.

The only time I've ever had that happen before was with an unstable overclock.

Bingo!

The key in the symptom that had me looking at something other than sound being the culprit was "the game freezes". If sound stopped, or started making a repetative noise, but the game continued then it would be the sound. The noise is just one way of the sound card and the computer in general telling you "things are not good here". I've gotten this before in many games with different sound cards in different systems over the years, but it was rarely anything to do specifically with the sound card.

I would check for overall system stability, and temperatures. If it's ahppening a while into gaming I suspect instability due to high case/cpu/gpu temps.

Back