• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

School Funded Ultimate PC Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tracekill said:
I attend a technologically inclined (notice I don't say a tech school straight out because they're all complete idiots) school in Connecticut and we are working on acquiring a grant from the school board to build an ultimate gaming computer as a publicity project for them to get more students. We have some general ideas on what we will be using but I would appreciate some help on what we can add to really boost the performance. After we are done we will put the entire computer on Ebay and set the reserve price for whatever the school granted us so that we can pay them back and any bids over that price will be ours. Woopee! We are going to use a Thermaltake XASER Full-T black case and Asus A8N-SLI mobo with dual BFGTech 7800GTX 512MBs OCed in SLI. Thats about as far as Ive gotten :shrug: .

Lol, I live in connecticut, I'm 18, and I know for a fact, that everyone in connecticut is technologically challenged. I think I'm better at building computers, than the governer is at running the state.

But anyways. I hate building computers with a group of people, because everyone thinks they know everything about everything, when they suggest that an ATI Radeon 9200 that costs $130 will be the best choice graphics card for the ultimate gaming machine... (...can you tell I'm speaking from experience? Again with the I <3 CT) but it sounds like you'll have a nice possibility of not effing up everything since it sounds like you got some smart people on your team if you're getting that stuff.

But, I think if you want to build something Ultimate, based on gaming, then you should definatly go dual 7800's, that'd be sick.

If you're going based on price, and how expensive you want the machine to be, than definatly go Crossfire X1800's just because you can, lol. If you want, you guys want, you can OC the hell outta those. I've yet to see a system with two in it yet. (Also X1900's are coming out... January 24th?? So you may want to get one of those!)

Not sure what you're getting for a CPU, but I'd totally suggest: AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

If you order the parts off Newegg, I'd be willing to bet you could get up to twice your money, on Ebay.

Especially if you order a Keyboard and Monitor with it. (Get dual flatpanels, the 1ms Response 19" ones.)

Back