• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screen sometimes garbles and computer hangs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudum

Registered
Screen sometimes garbles and computer hangs but when i restart it its fine

The only thing that i overclocked is my C2Duo E7500 @ 3.6Ghz, 400 MHz FSB w/ a 1:1 ratio on DRAM.
I have a rapter II 500W power and a gtx 560 ti. My motherboard is an asus p5q se2

This happens once a day

My settings are:

AI Overclock tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 9
FSB Strap to North Bridge: AUTO
FSB Frequency: 400
PCI-E Frequency: auto
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-801

DRAM Timing Control: auto

CPU Voltage: 1.3875 <------------------ (i think this is the problem)
CPU GTL Voltage Reference: auto
FSB Termination Voltage: auto
DRAM Voltage: auto
NB Voltage: 1.4 <------------------ (or this)
SBridge Voltage: auto
PCIE SATA Voltage: auto

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Clock Skew : AUTO
NB Clock Skew : AUTO
Enhancement: Performance

I tested this on prime95 w/ three tests for about 12-13 hours w/out errors and on memtest for 10 hours, still no errors
Temps are fine: GPU is about 70 on max load, and CPU is 60-65 on max load

Here's a screenshot of the problem:

Last edited:
Looks like your video card is having trouble. though it could be other things. Try pulling the video card out of the computer and cleaning the heatsink with compressed air, do the same for the CPU and the power supply, then reinstall and get rid of the overclock, uninstall and reinstall the video card driver by downloading latest driver from nvidia web site and run it for a few days to see if it comes back.

if that does not work try swapping in a different video card.

will do.

It's just weird though, i have not encountered this problem under heavy gaming which usually lasts for more than 5 hours w/out closing the game

ok now my system restarts and doesnt reboot at all. I think its due to overvolting the NB to 1.4. I tested it again w/out overclock for a day and its fine.

Maybe my hardware degraded. It ran fine for a few weeks but cant even run for an hour w/ my settings before (posted above)

yes, the extra heat load from overclocking/over volting is known to degrade computer chips over time, that's always been one of the tradeoffs. Just keep everything at stock, your parts may continue to degrade even without the overclock, so you may see this problem return.

Back