• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Scythe Ninja 4 Heatsink Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scythe is playing games.

Second paragraph of your link:

Anybody with half a brain cell knows shipping systems with aftermarket coolers is taking a risk of damage. :D

The only "documented proof" is from Scythe on system that sustained damage from being shipped with coolers mounted or rough handling.

Sure, the thinner PCB could most definitely contribute to easier damage, but we really have no proof there is a mounting issue but from Scythe.

Other coolers, that mount with springs, aren't causing breakage of the CPU substrate.
It's the mounting method.

Other coolers, that mount with springs, aren't causing breakage of the CPU substrate.
It's the mounting method.
Using your own logic we can say other coolers not being shipped while mounted and/or receiving rough handling are not causing "breakage of the substrate". Therefore it's a shipping / handling issue.

It's not a "mounting method" issue, it's a "movement method" issue .. with one company reporting it while showing an image of only one instance of it happening.

While it's probably a combination of things, spring mounts versus non-spring mounts is not the problem.

In the first sentence of Scythe's news release they say:

" All coolers are in fact generally compatible with Skylake sockets, but it can in some cases result in damage to CPU and motherboard when the PC is exposed to stronger shocks (eg shipping or relocation). "​

Nothing new in that statement.

Other coolers without springs are not causing breaking of CPU substrate either, so it's not the mounting method their either.

Springs used in most of the spring mounts are more twisted wire than real load rated springs. Good rule of thumb is any spring that is chrome plated isn't much of a spring .. and most mount springs are chromed.

Have you ever noticed how stiff the spring tension is the first time a cooler is mounted compared to later remounts?

Have you ever noticed how many of the "spring" mounts fully compress the springs when mounting screws are tight?

Wish I had the equipment to test the different mounts to see just how much pressure they actually produce.

Really, the best "proof" this is a non-issue is that the only company have "mounting issues" is Scythe .. while EKL Alpenföhn, Noctua, EK Water Blocks, Arctic, Thermaltake, Thermalright, Cooler Master, Prolimatech and Silence PC have all said their mounts are comparable.

Also, Intel says the 1151 PCB is rated for same load as other PCBs. Just because it's thinner does not mean it is weaker.

Using your own logic we can say other coolers not being shipped while mounted and/or receiving rough handling are not causing "breakage of the substrate". Therefore it's a shipping / handling issue.

It's not a "mounting method" issue, it's a "movement method" issue .. with one company reporting it while showing an image of only one instance of it happening.

While it's probably a combination of things, spring mounts versus non-spring mounts is not the problem.

In the first sentence of Scythe's news release they say:

" All coolers are in fact generally compatible with Skylake sockets, but it can in some cases result in damage to CPU and motherboard when the PC is exposed to stronger shocks (eg shipping or relocation). "​

Nothing new in that statement.

Other coolers without springs are not causing breaking of CPU substrate either, so it's not the mounting method their either.

Springs used in most of the spring mounts are more twisted wire than real load rated springs. Good rule of thumb is any spring that is chrome plated isn't much of a spring .. and most mount springs are chromed.

Have you ever noticed how stiff the spring tension is the first time a cooler is mounted compared to later remounts?

Have you ever noticed how many of the "spring" mounts fully compress the springs when mounting screws are tight?

Wish I had the equipment to test the different mounts to see just how much pressure they actually produce.

Really, the best "proof" this is a non-issue is that the only company have "mounting issues" is Scythe .. while EKL Alpenföhn, Noctua, EK Water Blocks, Arctic, Thermaltake, Thermalright, Cooler Master, Prolimatech and Silence PC have all said their mounts are comparable.

Also, Intel says the 1151 PCB is rated for same load as other PCBs. Just because it's thinner does not mean it is weaker.

You can say it's a "movement method issue" all you want, but I've seen non-spring mounts cause enough pressure to bend motherboard and have connection issues in the socket.

You can say it's a "movement method issue" all you want, but I've seen non-spring mounts cause enough pressure to bend motherboard and have connection issues in the socket.
Indeed I can. And you can go on about springs all you want.

Spring mounts also "cause enough pressure to bend motherboards and have connection issues in the socket."

There is no way to make something idiot proof. Sooner or later they always find a way to screw it up.

I do not see one as being any better than the other .. in actual use. I do prefer spring mounts when installing coolers, but not because they have springs. Because they have their screws attached to the mount and I don't have worry about screw dropping off of screwdriver while installing them. :D

But really this Skylake thing is not a mount issue. Surely we can agree on that simple truth. With all the many Skylake CPUs mounted and being used, isn't is kinda strange that now is the first time there has been a reported isue with cooler mounting? .. especially when most Skylakes come wiht no stock cooler?

Scythe even the damage is most likely caused by shipping or rough handling.
Is Skylake PCB thinner than other 115x PCBs'? Yes.
Can it be flexed easier than others? Maybe.
Is it strong enough to support big top tier coolers? t I'm sure it is.

So far I've had HR-22 ,new Le Grand Macho, PH-TC14PE, NH-D15 and Silver Arrow IB-E on mine with no problems.

But no, I haven't tried banging it on my bench or shipping it with a cooler mounted on it. ;)

Last edited:
Wouldn't the problem be that some coolers use more then 50lbs pressure thus making the PCB break ?

I had no problems with Ninja 4 on 6700K. If you have brain then you are not tightening everything to the max regardless what cooler is it. Right now I'm using water blocks with modified mounting on 6600K and 6700K ... also without issues.
I think that pressure or thin PCB is one thing but socket quality is other. Intel simply made bad sockets and on each LGA generation are other issues. Or issues with contact, or with broken/burned pins or anything else. Somehow there are no issues like that on AMD.

Today tom's HARDWARE released this statement in "Can CPU cooler Skylake systems damage?":
Allerdings wird hier unserer Meinung nach wieder viel Panik geschürt, wo selbige zumindest in der vorliegenden Wucht nicht angebracht ist: Sämtliche Hersteller gaben an, dass eine Beschädigung von CPU oder Mainboard ausschließlich beim Eintreten starker Erschütterungen während des Transports auftreten könnte. Wer nicht gerade regelmäßig mit montiertem CPU-Kühler im ungefederten Fahrzeug auf LAN-Parties fährt, muss also nicht direkt in Panik ausbrechen.
http://www.tomshardware.de/skylake-...ck-skylakegate,news-254213.html#xtor=EPR-8886
English translation:
"However, in our opinion, again stirred up a lot of panic here, where selbige is not appropriate, at least in the present force: All manufacturers indicated that damage of CPU or motherboard could only occur upon the occurrence of strong shocks during transport. Those who are not regularly mounted CPU cooler is running on LAN parties in unsprung vehicle, so it must not break directly into panic."​

Heh... you should see the 'flared' edges on my 6700K... that thing hasn't moved off my desk. It is also a spring loaded waterblock...

Heh... you should see the 'flared' edges on my 6700K... that thing hasn't moved off my desk. It is also a spring loaded waterblock...
When you get the time could you get us some pics of it? Would be nice to see some other instances besides the one from Scythe. ;)

Kind of late to the party, but thanks for the review. Spent the past few hours looking around and ended up ordering a ninja 4 for the next round of upgrades.

Scythe is now sending out replacement screws. Contact them. Also, when you get the screws, please photograph them and post the pics here.

Scythe is now sending out replacement screws. Contact them. Also, when you get the screws, please photograph them and post the pics here.

Sorry I'm just getting back now. Contacted Scythe, this was their response:

Hi E***,

The Skylake problem is isolated to our European version of the Mugen 4.

Ninja 4 is currently not affected.

Scythe Support
D**** L**
www.scytheus.com
JOIN OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!
http://goo.gl/k7wJJ

Well ... talking about Europe ... I am an european that just bought a Scythe Ninja 4 but for AMD FX8370
My rig:

cpu: FX8370 stock with Ninja 4
mainboard: GA-970a-ud3p
case: nexus Caterpilar V1
ram : kingston 8gb ram
vga: gtx 970
sound: Asus xonar ST
Psu: corsair 750hx
windows 10 x64

In prime 95 with open case, no exhaust fan on the back of the case and the cpu fan set to High speed domain i get around 42 C
Very pleased.Even at high speed i consider the cpu fan quiet...I do feel that the PSU fan is a bit noisier

kind of odd this cooler still is not in stock at places like ppc or newegg.com, though you can it though outletpc.com. i loved the past two ninja's i used, i was close to get the D15S at newegg vs PPC. the price at outletpc seems like a deal for the performance vs the D15, so how would the ninja do with two A14 fans. would be interesting to see the A12 or A14 single/dual vs glide stream single/dual setup.

I put a second fan on the Ninja 4 and i can say there wasn't a big difference.The second fan was a Lepa Bol.quiet 1600 rpm.The configuration was a push / pull mode.The difference was 2.5 degrees C vs 1 fan config and more noise.Both fans run at highest rpm.A nice config would like is suggested in the review two 800 rpm fans for a very quiet system.

nope, direct from newegg they dont have it. it was listed on newegg's site but actually sold by and shipped from outletpc.com
doing a google search by the name you get this at newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CPTb7cXMhcsCFQsDaQodrIcI-A&gclsrc=aw.ds
notice the item number, that is not something newegg uses if they actually stock it them selves. trying to find the ninja 4 through newegg.com, it doesnt come up for some reason only through google search/shopping.

Just to add to this I'm really impressed with the ninja 4. My 2 fans in push/pull don't get loud and it cools great.

Back