• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate 160 raid or Raptor 74?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
74gb raptor all the way. No question.

Your raid-0 drives would transfer large files faster, but most files you use are smaller, and the very fast access times of the raptors would be the most noticeble difference. Trust me, ive owned everything from a single 7200 drive, to 7200 drives in raid-0, to raptors in raid-0... and now a 15k scsi.

I second Vio1's opinion. A single 74Gb raptor should serve you very well. Not to mention the fact that with RAID 0 there is almost 0 chance of recovery if your array fails.

I would recomend against getting a Raptor. Raptors are made by Western Digital; Western Digital hard disk tend to have a short life. The Raptor also does not offer much for storage.

I would tend to opt for at least a single Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 200 GB or greater capacity hard disk (multiple in RAID will probably outpreform a Raptor). DiamondMax 10 series hard disk of capacity less than 200 GB will not have a 16 MB buffer. Maximum PC gives a favorable review.

However, seeing the claim to have atained seventh generation Seagate 7200 RPM drives for "50 each" (I am assuming dollars), I would recomened keeping or reselling the drives (due to really good price).

Ascii2 said:
I would recomend against getting a Raptor. Raptors are made by Western Digital; Western Digital hard disk tend to have a short life. The Raptor also does not offer much for storage.

I would tend to opt for at least a single Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 200 GB or greater capacity hard disk (multiple in RAID will probably outpreform a Raptor). DiamondMax 10 series hard disk of capacity less than 200 GB will not have a 16 MB buffer. Maximum PC gives a favorable review.

However, seeing the claim to have atained seventh generation Seagate 7200 RPM drives for "50 each" (I am assuming dollars), I would recomened keeping or reselling the drives (due to really good price).
You've said the exact opposite of what I've always heard and experienced. Western Digitals have always had long lives with me, and Maxtors....didn't.

use the 74GB raptor for window, the 160X2 in raid 0 for storage, data recorvery is something to be notice, raid 0 is crappy when it comes to loosing data, or just not raid at all to be safe :)

JoT said:
You've said the exact opposite of what I've always heard and experienced. Western Digitals have always had long lives with me, and Maxtors....didn't.
The best expierences when refering to longevity and talk I have heard apply to hard disks manufactured by Seagate.

It is possible for my expieriences and what I have heard to be different from yours:

My expieriences:

I have had some Western Digital hard disks. All the Western Digital hard disks had malfuntioned after a short amount of time (like 5 months for one 1 month another, 6 months another, etc.). My expieriences go apply to computers other than mine (the Sixpacks).

The Maxtor hard disk in my signiture is like 10 years old and still running strong. It is the only Maxtor hard disk I have used.

What I have Head:
I know people that have had bad expieriences with Western Digital hard disks also.

Ascii2 said:
OnDborder, seeing that you have Audigy series sound cards, the following may be useful to you:

http://www.audiocardsettlement.com/form.asp

Wow, thanks for the heads up...

Well as probably what everyone else does when they ask this question is....
I bought the Raptor 74gig.. Taking one of the Seagates back. I have a 250gig already for storage..
Thanks for the replies..

Back