• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seeing old style icons on xp? confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

All of a sudden I noticed today that I'm seeing a couple of old style icons. The internet activity taskbar icon was reverting back to the old style during full activity (and only full activity). After reboot, this is no longer the case. However, I have notepad in the frequently launched programs section of my start menu, and it's showing the old style notepad icon. Before today this never happened. Any idea what's going on here?

Copy and paste the following into Notepad, and save it with a *.reg extension...
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
... then click on the newly created registry file, in order to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot after merging the above edit.

I checked my registry for the keys/values you listed. The first two were correct, but the last one didn't even exist. I added it manually and it worked perfectly. Thanks! I don't think I would have figured that one out on my own.

Back