• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Semi-fanless compact 1000W PSU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boo2

Hi,

I want to shoe horn a twin-CPU Xeon setup into a smallish case and am trying to find a semi-fanless PSE that is nolonger than 160mm (absolute max for the case) and which has an output of 1000W (ideally more if poss).

Quality is paramount but can anyone tell me whether such a beast even exists ?

Thanks,

Boo

Here's a very high quality 170mm, I'm still looking to find a 1kW unit @ 160mm.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-PS-1000-V1

Can you give more details about the full system specs?
It's very possible you don't need a 1kW PSU.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am looking at an Asus Z10PE mobo (haven't decuded which yet) + 2 off E5-2687W v4 CPUs and 1 (+ later another) GTX 980 Ti graphics cards.

I'd be interested to hear what power you would expect this to draw ? I don't think 170mm will fit and am fairly well set on the case I've chosen so 160mm is the maximum length I can use.

Boo

Whoa... what are you planning on using that for?!!! Those processors are $2k each!!!

If everything is running full tilt 2 980tis, you are looking around 900W with mobo, ram, etc.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am looking at an Asus Z10PE mobo (haven't decuded which yet) + 2 off E5-2687W v4 CPUs and 1 (+ later another) GTX 980 Ti graphics cards.

I'd be interested to hear what power you would expect this to draw ? I don't think 170mm will fit and am fairly well set on the case I've chosen so 160mm is the maximum length I can use.

Boo

I'm around what EarthDog said. You're at 160W per CPU and 250W per GPU, plus RAM/mobo/drives, so you net just under 900W.
I'd be looking at a quality 1000W unit.

Again though, what case is it? I'd really like to see the layout.

Whoa... what are you planning on using that for?!!! Those processors are $2k each!!!

If everything is running full tilt 2 980tis, you are looking around 900W with mobo, ram, etc.

Yes, it's a beast. I'm building a scientific workstation to perform numerical simulations and other numerical work. I'd use a v4 22 core chip instead but think I'll get better general purpose performance with the 12 core 3.0 GHz 2687W's.

I'm around what EarthDog said. You're at 160W per CPU and 250W per GPU, plus RAM/mobo/drives, so you net just under 900W.
I'd be looking at a quality 1000W unit.

Again though, what case is it? I'd really like to see the layout.
Case is a Silverstone FT05 which I have been assured by S. themselves will take an EEB form factor mobo. I will most likely just forego the second display card if I cannot find a 1000W display that's no longer than 160mm.

Thanks for the replies,

Boo

How are you figuring a 160mm limitation? The FT05 has no issues fitting huge power supplies.

How are you figuring a 160mm limitation? The FT05 has no issues fitting huge power supplies.

AIUI the FT05 can accept longer PSUs but only when the 3.5" drive bay is removed which I do not want to do as I will likely be adding a couple of bit 3.5" drives along with a 2.5" SSD. With the drive bay in place Silverstone recommend a max PSU length of 160mm.

Boo

Ah, yes, I'm so used to keeping only a single SSD in my tower and keeping everything else (movies, music, pictures, backups, etc) on my NAS I forget other people don't.

Back