• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI Outage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rickdstik

Appears that this one is power related and somewhat outside of Berkley's control, due to a short at a substation in the area, causing the entire hill to go dark. Maybe I should think about donating these xeons to them so they can at least put some sort of geographical redundacy in place. Looks like this one might take a bit to fix and even then, all the hungry machines looking for work are going to tie up bandwidth for a few more days (into the next outage window likely) ... anyone up to donating some spare hard drive/ram capacity in the forum's name?

Source:
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_thread.php?id=9445&nowrap=true#117242

Update: Power was restored around 8:30 pm PST 5/17/12. All project servers are expected to come back online today (5/18).

Last edited:
Planned Power Outage
Repairs are necessary after the short circuit that caused power failures in several labs here on campus two weeks ago. These repairs require a planned power outage, which starts this afternoon (Tuesday 22:00 UTC). We'll be back on line Thursday morning (roughly Thursday 17:00 UTC). Our websites and data servers will be offline throughout this outage. 29 May 2012 | 17:11:12 UTC

Thanks for the update Rick. I noticed this morning that my main system was waiting for work and had a bunch of work needing to upload. Since Rosetta is being a real sweathog lately with the amount of ram it's wanting, I'm not running my main rig on it until I upgrade to more ram in it. Rosetta was thrashing the hell out of my hard drive and bringing my main rig to it's knees. :(

These damn scholastic types don't seem to think about what their damn large footprint work units do to a system that is capable of running 12 wus at once.:rolleyes: I might just go ahead and fire up F@H for a day or so on it until Seti is back online.

Back