• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting a new connection with FIOS on multiple computers, Need oppion on router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

Ok finally on may 18 I will break away from this craptastic 56k dialup modem and get my brand new FIOS connection. Of course now I am introduced to networking and we have mutiple computers to hook up to the connection, I am buying a router.

So far I am planning to buy DGL 4300 GamerLounge Wireless $73.99 shipped free + tax at Fry's

Is this router good for beginners? or is there better alternatives for the price?

Im very new to this networking stuff :D

IKIKUINTHENUTZ said:
Ok finally on may 18 I will break away from this craptastic 56k dialup modem and get my brand new FIOS connection. Of course now I am introduced to networking and we have mutiple computers to hook up to the connection, I am buying a router.

So far I am planning to buy DGL 4300 GamerLounge Wireless $73.99 shipped free + tax at Fry's

Is this router good for beginners? or is there better alternatives for the price?

Im very new to this networking stuff :D

PLEASE DO NOT GET DLINK FOR GOD SAKES... i have gone through 3 dlink routers and all three dont forward ports right and are just crappy...

I have Fios (15mb / 2mbit) and i got a Linksys WRT54GL router... its amazing i run 2 servers constantly running traffic through the router (wired and wireless) and its been on since i plugged it in over 6 months ago with no dropouts... plus you can run dd-wrt on it and it makes it even better... and its very easy to setup. just plug it in and ur good... u can always login to the router by going to http://192.168.1.1

Also it depends on how they install fios if you will be able to run your own router. At my house they brought the fiberoptic line to our garage (through the conduit) then we ran a 200ft ethernet cable from the fios box to our wrt54gl router... but at my friends house he got fios tv and fios internet and they ran the internet signal through the coxial tv cable and you have to use this POS special cable modem that decodes the signal they sent through the coxial cable.... which is really stupid in my opinion because his pings are a good 50ms higher than mine and he lives a coupla houses up...

SO make sure you have them run a ethernet cable to your router!

Pluss its cheaper than that dlink
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4703979?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

PS: How long were you on dial suck... i feel SO BAD i got rid of dial suck so long ago then i started to complain how slow adelphia's cable internet was (5mbit/348kbit) so i was like.... hmm i can get fios which is 3x download 8xupload for the same price as Adel...! i love fios

my girlfriends fios came with a d-link router that died after 2 months so I replaced it with a wrt54g that has been flawless for over a year.

For my parent's FIOS installation, the modem was an all-in-one wireless AP/4-port switch and modem all together. See what they bring you before you decide on something else.

Back