• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up benching drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi team!
So...setting up operating systems for x299 and have a super n00b question.

Can I set up 1 operating system per drive, not install any chipset, board specific (like lan and USB controllers) or VGA specific drivers then use that as the basis for any platform?

I've been creating separate drives for each os and platform but it'd be great to just have drives for xp, 7 and 10 that I can use for any/all platforms.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Tia (of course)...mucho appreciate any guidance so I don't need n^4 drives.

Hmmm ...

I always set them up board specific, probably why I have like 20 SSD ........ lol

however that is an intriguing approach ?

Don't see why it wouldn't work , but they would never be optimized for a specific set up ?

Thinking to have 3-5 master drives then create isos for each os.

When I load a new platform, figure load one of the master isos (which already include all benching apps...at least the 2d ones) to a blank ssd, load all the platform/mobo specific drivers, strip and go.

Eventually, the swapping between chipsets has caused problems for me in the past... that said I still do it until the OS borks, then blow down a base image on it again...

I have done this Funsoul, with limited success. I will say at the time I didn't have any stripped down OS's and my XP would always want me to authenticate so my clone image was only good for a period of time, then I'd have to redo.

I install new for every platform setup with drivers/benches then clone it so I have a quick backup when benching cold

I have an ssd with just win7, one with win 10 installed, no motherboard drivers and no drivers installed at all.
I clone them to an ssd I'm installing and then install the drivers to the os on the ssd I'm going to install to the board, works just fine, just use the smallest ssd you can fit the os as a master.
my masters have all the overclocking software pre stored in the downloads folder so I have very little to go hunting for as I install it, works like a champ.

Back