• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up my new NF7-S v.2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habanero

I am finally upgrading from my 4 year old mobo - Abit Kt7-A v.1.0. Crazy, huh. Anyway, I just purchased an NF7-S v.2.0 from Newegg, along with 1 stick of Corsair XMS pc3200 (2-2-2-6), 512mb. I have a Tbred B XP 2100+, JUIHB running at 2100mhz (21x100) stable on air (way old WBK 38 hs/f, 42c max).

I have been reading up on the NF7-S v.2.0, and decided to go with it because of all the support, mods, discussion forums, and success others have found with it. I have a few questions about setting things up.

1. What BIOS should I use? I have seen over 50 different modded BIOS files, and not much explaination for what each of them do.

2. Should I do the L12 wire mod upon initial installation, or first try a BIOS with a L12 soft mod? I really dont like messing with my CPU, especially after I get the Arctic Silver 5 spread just right.

3. With plenty of case fans, as well as an aftermarket NB hs/f, what are my options for increasing the chipset voltage. In really old mod reviews, they talk about hardware mods, which looks pretty sketchy for me, since I am not skilled at soldering. Are higher voltage settings available through modded BIOS files?

Any additional "do's" / "dont's" would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Try the latest merlin bios, do the L12 wire mod, and there is a pencil mod for vdd that doesn't involve soldering you can do.

The best BIOS for you will more than likely depend on the other components your using in your new rig. Stick to the ones based on the latest BIOS versions and that will narrow it down to a handfull of different ones you can try. I had that same T-Bred B and had no problems getting it to 11X200 (2.2ghz) on that board just using the stock abit BIOS and no L12 Mod. I never had to mess with the chipset voltage much in order to overclock well, just set it to the highest available option (1.7 I think it is). You CPU or Memory will probably limint you before the chipset voltage does.

GL

Lvcoyote

My memory should be pretty sweet. People talk about getting up into the 230's, 240's with the Corsair XMS pc3200 2-2-2-6 T1. However, I have not seen anyone push the XP 2100+ any higher than 220. I would be really stoked if mine would do that. My stepping is suppose to be sweet, and my chip runs pretty cool.
I started this thread just to get some feedback about how others have their rig set up, because if I can do the basic necessary stuff as I set it up, I wont have to tear down my system, or spend many wasted hours of self experimentation just to discover what everyone else already knows.
Thanks for the feedback provided thus far.
I think I will start with the L12 wire mod, and do the latest Merlin bios, and see what I get. I may even try out the pencil voltage mod, after I pick up a NB cooler. I am checking out the Northpole setup, however, it looks pretty pricey for NB cooling. So I should be good for now, but I want this mobo to last me at least 1 year, and I plan on dropping a mobile 2500 or so in probably in about 6 months, and I want to be ready for higher FSB by then.

I just installed my new NF7-S v 2.0, with the L12 wire mod, Arctic Silver 5, as well as applying thermal paste to the NB stock HS/fan. Also dropped in my new stick of Corsair 512mb pc3200 XMS. Reinstalled Windows XP Pro, with Service pack 2. Loaded most recent drivers, flashed to D26 Manta Rays XT, and started overclocking.

I wasnt sure what my XP 2100+ could do, so I started at 200 front side bus with an 8 multiplier. I wanted to find my front side limit before I found my CPU limit. Stable at 200, so I bumped it up in 5mhz increments. I got 1 Prime95 error at 245, so I backed things off to 240, then upped the multiplier to 9. That gives me 2164mhz. Not bad, for a 4 year old CPU HS/Fan (Globalwin WBK 38).

Vdd=1.7
DDRv=2.9
Vcore=1.8
Ram timings= 2,3,3,11

I am prime95 stable, and am now downloading 3dMark2003 to check for 3D stability. Once I run that, and everything looks stable, then I will install HL2 (which I just got today) and enjoy some sweet gaming bliss.

This thing is basically right out of the box, and its screaming. I cant wait to see what it will do once I do some mods to it (northpole for the NB, SB heatsink, Mofset heatsinks, and a little pencil vdd mod).

Thanks for the recommendations, suggestions, and support. I am totally glad I went with this board!

Last edited:
wow.. high vcore.. mines only 1.625... dont help i got a mobile :)

been wondering if i should run my ram in 23311 ...could i do 22211??

Yeah, I am using an Abit Siluro Geforce 4 4200ti 8x 64mb. It runs HL2 pretty good, but on medium settings, not high settings.

I have had to lower my front side bus to 232, because I was getting memory errors in HL2 and CS source. That brought me down. I have bumped up the DDRv to 2.9, and its rock stable now. Wish I could keep it at 240 though.

Last edited:
i gota do the vdimm mod on my motherboard.. need something around 3.1 ...2.9 just dont work for my bh-5 ..(just found out that too today ..took off the sides)

going to get hl2 tommorw/today (boxin day) ..going to test out my flashed 9800pro to xt :)

wish me luck

Back