• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Several Issues After reformatting PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bklynrx7

Hello everyone, I recently reformatted my pc and installed windows 8 after a period of minimal use. I have encountered some issues that I cannot figure out an I am hoping you can help me. Here is the hardware:
Asus m4a88t-m le
AMD Phenom X2 BE 555
stock cooler from FX60
4gb Gskill DDR3 1333
7200rpm drive
Windows 8 pro

I bought these components 2 years ago to quickly and cheaply replace my dead gateway. I don't really play games, just your occasional fps. When I got everything I unlocked the other 2 cores making it technically 4 core, and had it clocked up to around 3.4. It never ran hot or gave me any problems. The pc ended up having some issues with ad-ware and crap so I tossed in an old hdd just for work purposes and it was hardly touched until this week. I cleaned it up, re-installed the original drive and a fresh install of windows 8. I installed steam and attempted to play some counterstrike and it was so choppy it was unplayable. I installed speedfan just to get some temps and realized the pc is running pretty hot. It was around 45-50c idling in an air-conditioned room, 50-60c idling in a warm room. I ran prime95 and it gets up to around 70c before crashing. I ran prime95 2x and both times the pc shut down in the first half hour. I set the clock back to factory, and locked it back to a dual core but its till idling at 50c right now. I just have chrome open and Comodo scanning. Beside crashing under prime and the CS issue, there are no issues. Its fast and smooth for everything else.

I cant explain the temps at all. I was thinking the choppy game might be due to a driver problem. Asus doesnt make a windows 8 driver for this mobo. I have a Radeon x1800 laying around I can experiment with but it doesn't fit the motherboard so I have to order an extender before I can try it. Ive also heard about drivers problems between old cards like that and win8. Its not an internet speed issue Im currently getting about 100/40 on speedtest.

Any input would be appreciated.

Nice internet connection.

What video card are you using (or do you have one at all?)? With a computer that has been sitting for a while, the first thing I would do is take it apart and clean all the dust bunnies out, and probably reseat the Heatsink on the processor, just for good measure.

Try doing that and see if it will help with the temps.

My guess is that with the relatively old hardware, and old software (CS) + running Windows 8, you are having some compatibility issues. Try to find drivers for the video card that will work w/ Windows 8 (or at least the latest version). Also, you may try and run the game in compatibility mode for XP/Win 7, if possible.

Back