• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED should i swap out the ol 6950?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
should i go ahead and hauk my 6950 while they are still selling for 200 bucks, and go ahead and get a 7950 or 7970? i dont want to be stuck with it 2 years from now when its obsolete and selling for 50-75 bucks like my 4870's(that i still have) lol

i know its personal preference but i mean i want to get the best price i can for it to go towards a better card. idk, what would you guys do lol

Last edited:
I'm holding on to my 6870 CF for a little bit (till christmas certainly) because nothing I play is taxing it too much and the 78xx and 660 are still a bit too expensive for dual GPU.

If you can get $200 for it, I'd do it and see if you can snag one of those 7970s that go on sale for $340 at the egg

That's a pretty good deal, but with the the PC release schedule between now and the end of the year is somewhat sparse. What res do you game at?

1080p but i just dont want to get stuck with it like my 4870's lol ended up just giving one of them away and the other is in my guest lan rig. i think here in the next month or so im gonna go through with selling it and grab me up a 7970 or 7950 :) i just really dont want another refrence card theys so loud lol my 6970 was and it died when i decided to take the water to her

ive grown to love these sapphire coolers that are on my dirt3 6950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102991

edit: yea the 7950 with "boost" or what ever is like 40% faster in most games than my 6950 and i dont feel like paying the premium for the 7970 when its not that much of a "boost"(lol get it?) but anywho hopefully will get this rollin out soon, the sooner the better baby is coming in October wont be able to upgrade for atleast a year lol

Last edited:
I'm rocking two of those dirt 3 6950's, but im not convinced on the cooler. I really dont like how little support it offers the card as the two i have in crossfire have more flex than i like to see. Granted the window in my case doesn't help in that aspect.

$200 is a bit high on the street price of those cards, probably more around $175-185. $200 if it can unlock.

I have two 6950's in crossfire and it provides all the power I need. I don't see a need to upgrade in the near future. But then again I plan on running my system till it falls apart.

The 6950 is still a powerful card though. People are still buying them new, or else they are getting 7850's which are essentially just as powerful.

$200 is a bit high on the street price of those cards, probably more around $175-185. $200 if it can unlock.

Little hard to even get $200 for unlock, I recently sold one of my cards for $250 shipped in the classies and it came with a 1090T...

200 bucks is what i said they were selling for a month or so before that i seen atleast 3 of them shoot out of the classies about 2 months a go or that price is why i was thinking i could get that much for it, its stupid that the unlockable ones sell for more when the performance difference is like 2% if that clock for clock, mine will run 150mhz over 6970's stock

200 bucks is what i said they were selling for a month or so before that i seen atleast 3 of them shoot out of the classies about 2 months a go or that price is why i was thinking i could get that much for it, its stupid that the unlockable ones sell for more when the performance difference is like 2% if that clock for clock, mine will run 150mhz over 6970's stock

I believe the true difference comes between unlock to 6970 and overclocking vs overclocking before unlocking, don't quote me on that though. $200 a month ago doesn't sound right but it could be, video cards like all pc components depreciate fast. Imagine my surprise when the best I could get for mine was $150. You also have to keep in mind by computer standards the 6950 is already old technology.

Hey Ronbert: Just been looking around on EBAY IN USA, you now can get a brand new SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB DDR5 DIRT EDITION for $180.00 Dollars with FREE shipping to the UK how about that now??????????? So how do you expect to get $200 second hand????? And it would be with me in 2 day's max.:facepalm::bump:

I honestly am not sure what you're saying. The point I'm trying to make is that right now with 6950 being where it's at in the market a reasonable price to expect for a used 6950 is $150 bucks, and that the unlocked are worth "more" because they can be... well, unlocked. I honestly don't think you read my post very well...

I believe the true difference comes between unlock to 6970 and overclocking vs overclocking before unlocking, don't quote me on that though. $200 a month ago doesn't sound right but it could be, video cards like all pc components depreciate fast. Imagine my surprise when the best I could get for mine was $150. You also have to keep in mind by computer standards the 6950 is already old technology.

I don't see how you get that I thought you could get $200USD for it second hand.

it was a couple months ago did i say one? my bad

Not sure why Ajay is kind of all over you with price, but to answer your question, I think that now is a great time to offload a 6950 and upgrade. You are right in the fact that if you wait much longer the price could be sub $100. I usually sell and upgrade pnce they hit that $175 price point.

Good example is I sold XFX 6950 on ebay 2 weeks ago and it fetched $181. I was more then happy with that price.

Hey ajay want me to pull up the thread from two months ago where one sold for 200. I did say now I meant they were and were already another month from when I posted the thread. Anywho I'm requesting this thread closed

Well I shall get back to the OP's question then. The 7970 is a phenomenal card but it costs $400USD(ish) retail. The 6950 retails on newegg for $200USD(ish), I think the real question you have to ask your self is will the 7970 show $200 worth of improvement?

Also what games (if any) do you play and at what resolution(looked back and saw you said 1080p)? Is the 7950(70) needed?

Having said that if you did decide to get one of the two I would recommend you get the 7950 because the two cards seem to perform pretty close to each other but at a cost savings to you.

What games do you play?
Right now a 6950 should be more then enough for 1080P.

I know what you mean though, I've been thinking about trying to sell my 6970 now before the price on them drops anymore.

I'm running eyefinity at 6048X1080 res though, So I could definitely use the extra power.
However, I can run most games on low-medium just fine at 60fps.

Back