• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade from my old i7 to a new i5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The Ex 6 is TomsHardware's most recommended Z97 board. And it's ours too. You won't regret it if you buy one. Unless it's DOA, I mean. Which is rare.

So I got my parts in and I ordered the wrong color ram and didn't realize it. My 4690k was able to begin booting into windows with [email protected] which I got from the OC guide. I bumped the voltage up to 1.3v but got a BSOD after about 30 minutes of the Adia64 stability test so against the suggestion I went another 25mv to 1.325v.

Before:
6xEroYZ.jpg

After:
TawBjOA.jpg

After about 30 minutes of the Adia64 stability test these were my results.
lhmCFXY.jpg

Congrats!
Keep an eye on that TX750. Many of us have seen them spontaneously roll over and cough up blood. Especially the old school model like yours. Mine croaked recently. Somebody else had theirs croak and take out their mobo.

Congrats!
Keep an eye on that TX750. Many of us have seen them spontaneously roll over and cough up blood. Especially the old school model like yours. Mine croaked recently. Somebody else had theirs croak and take out their mobo.

I will be keeping a close eye on it then. My HAF 932 is a great case but it doesn't have any filters and its an older model that isn't painted. SO I'm thinking about a Corsair Carbide Air 540 which might cut down on the dust. As it is I try to dust out my PC about every 4-6 weeks hoping to prolong the life of things like the PSU. That being said, I've got more results and updated about my upgrade.

I followed the haswell OC guide and set the vcore to 1.2 with a multiplier to 46x and was able to get to the windows loading screen. So my chip seems to be in the upper 50% which is good for me I guess. I decided to go back and set the voltage to the max suggested of 1.3v and that got me into windows and the Adia64 stresstest ran for about 30 minutes before giving a BSOD. So I again upped the voltage to the 1.325V but still didn't have complete stability at 4.6ghz and this time the max temp was 94C after an hour and a half of the stress test, which I'm not happy with. Currently I'm at [email protected] with a max core temp of about 88C and after 3 hours of a stress test, things are normal. Does that mean that 4.5 is my max OC or is there a way to safely push to 4.6. 100mhz isn't a big deal but more is more :p

I'm attaching a screen shot of my UEFI utility to show some of the current settings. Does it matter if the Cache Frequency isn't the same as the CPU? Any input is appreciated.

FJugtFG.jpg

I will be keeping a close eye on it then. My HAF 932 is a great case but it doesn't have any filters and its an older model that isn't painted. SO I'm thinking about a Corsair Carbide Air 540 which might cut down on the dust. As it is I try to dust out my PC about every 4-6 weeks hoping to prolong the life of things like the PSU. That being said, I've got more results and updated about my upgrade.

I followed the haswell OC guide and set the vcore to 1.2 with a multiplier to 46x and was able to get to the windows loading screen. So my chip seems to be in the upper 50% which is good for me I guess. I decided to go back and set the voltage to the max suggested of 1.3v and that got me into windows and the Adia64 stresstest ran for about 30 minutes before giving a BSOD. So I again upped the voltage to the 1.325V but still didn't have complete stability at 4.6ghz and this time the max temp was 94C after an hour and a half of the stress test, which I'm not happy with. Currently I'm at [email protected] with a max core temp of about 88C and after 3 hours of a stress test, things are normal. Does that mean that 4.5 is my max OC or is there a way to safely push to 4.6. 100mhz isn't a big deal but more is more :p

I'm attaching a screen shot of my UEFI utility to show some of the current settings. Does it matter if the Cache Frequency isn't the same as the CPU? Any input is appreciated.

FJugtFG.jpg

Don't touch anything in your bios except

CPU frequency (multiplier)
CPU vCore
LLC (load line calibration)

and of course, set your RAM to XMP1.

That's all you need for 4.5Ghz.

Don't touch CPU input voltage, cache frequency, BCLK, etc etc.

If you've screwed around with anything you shouldn't, you should reset your bios to defaults, then first set your RAM to XMP1, then dial in the other factors and test your overclock.

Don't overclock on "auto voltage" as you will likely get a voltage that is too high.

Do you know about stress testing, how to monitor your voltages and temps in windows, etc?

BTW if looking for a new case, I really like the Corsair 760T more than the 540. Especially if you put lights in it.

Don't touch anything in your bios except

CPU frequency (multiplier)
CPU vCore
LLC (load line calibration)

and of course, set your RAM to XMP1.

That's all you need for 4.5Ghz.

Don't touch CPU input voltage, cache frequency, BCLK, etc etc.

If you've screwed around with anything you shouldn't, you should reset your bios to defaults, then first set your RAM to XMP1, then dial in the other factors and test your overclock.

Don't overclock on "auto voltage" as you will likely get a voltage that is too high.

Do you know about stress testing, how to monitor your voltages and temps in windows, etc?

BTW if looking for a new case, I really like the Corsair 760T more than the 540. Especially if you put lights in it.

Yeah, I don't think I've changed anything except the cpu freq and voltage. I use adia64 for stress testing and cpu-z/core temp for voltage and temp.

The 760T is beautiful but my clumsy self would break those doors. I also like the segregation of components in the 540. The power supply and such having its own space/ventilation will make for easy and clean cable management plus the PSU isn't putting any heat in your system. If I'm not mistaken the intake on the back panel for the PSU has a magnetic filter that sticks over it. I also like way the air can flow in the front and out the back/top without any drive cages or 5.25 bays in the mix.

I would put my h100i on the front intake and move the fans that come with it to the top. Plus the h100i will benefit from having the filters to keep it and the rest of the case clean.

Yeah, I don't think I've changed anything except the cpu freq and voltage. I use adia64 for stress testing and cpu-z/core temp for voltage and temp.

The 760T is beautiful but my clumsy self would break those doors. I also like the segregation of components in the 540. The power supply and such having its own space/ventilation will make for easy and clean cable management plus the PSU isn't putting any heat in your system. If I'm not mistaken the intake on the back panel for the PSU has a magnetic filter that sticks over it. I also like way the air can flow in the front and out the back/top without any drive cages or 5.25 bays in the mix.

I would put my h100i on the front intake and move the fans that come with it to the top. Plus the h100i will benefit from having the filters to keep it and the rest of the case clean.

I wouldn't put a radiator so that it's sucking in through a filtered intake. IMO, it's better to have the rad unrestricted pumping air out the top of the case, albeit warmer air, vs drawing in cold air through a restricted intake. Dust filters massively reduce air flow. On some systems, I don't even use them, and I just take a can of compressed air to the innards of the machine every couple of weeks.

Back