• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I use Win XP Remote Assistance to help a family member?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

I have a few family members that call me every once in a while to fix their (usually minor) computer problems. Rather than wasting gas driving there, would it be better to use Remote Assistance? Is this easy to set up and is it somewhat secure? I've used Terminal Services before but I'm not quite sure of the similarities.

For the record, we are all using Windows XP.

you can do ss with real vnc. but i second real vnc..you can set username/passwords, set a time limit for how long to be on etc...(or time limit before it disconnects you on of those)

real vnc secure..taken fromi realvnc.com
s VNC secure?
The only really secure computer is one without a network. VNC requires a password when a viewer tries to connect to a server. This password is encrypted to deter snooping, but the following graphical data, the VNC protocol, is not. In many ways, VNC is more secure than remote login programs such as telnet where the password is and the following data are sent in the clear as ascii characters. Many people find it perfectly acceptable to use VNC like this behind a corporate firewall, across a VPN, or between computers within the home. However, if the computer or network is connected to the internet, we strongly advise the use of additional security. See how to make VNC secure using SSH. You might want to know how to use VNC with a firewall.

VNC Is awesome, I use it on all of my computers on my network. I also have it installed on friends and Family's computers for when they call and need help. This is assuming that the internet works fine. It is a great asset to a network admin.

IF you dont want to worry about them having to install the software and be running VNC I would stick with remote Desktop. I use tightVNC on my computers just because only one of them has XP and all the others have Win2K. I see no need to add a program that they would have to set up on their machine.

Fightingpiper said:
IF you dont want to worry about them having to install the software and be running VNC I would stick with remote Desktop. I use tightVNC on my computers just because only one of them has XP and all the others have Win2K. I see no need to add a program that they would have to set up on their machine.
That's another thing I was considering. I don't want to have to walk them through an installation. Remote Desktop sounds like the way to go, especially since they already have Windows XP.

Thanks for the responses ;)

On XP home, you can only connect to other computers with remote desktop conection so the person you're trying to help must have XP pro. I use tight VNC. I heard that flooding real vnc with logon requests eventually just lets you in without a password, but I don't know if thats been fixed or what. Anyway make sure you have it set to run as a system service on startup because if you have to reboot or something you can reconnect with out haveing to call the person and tell them to open up the vnc server again. Making it a service allows you to log in without them doing anything. After you're done tell the person to uninstall it.

-Andy

Back