• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should this happen on a Mem Clock O/C?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Undread

Registered
Was recently trying to o/c my MSI 5900XT.

I tried the core first and successfully got it from 390 to around 495-500 with no lockups.

Next I clocked the core back down to 390 and tried the memory...(using coolbits). The highest that coolbits would let me go was 745ish before it said that Tests failed stuff since you have to use that stupid test my settings through coolbits.. Anyway, I clocked the core back up to around 470, and tried the memory again, I got it up to 760 (still not happy, since i see a ton of people getting this MSI to 500/800 areas). Anyway, I get powerstrip so that I can bypass the coolbits testing. Clock the memory to 768 and run aquamark for a quick test, I leave the room come back....I get back and I'm staring at a HORRIBLE am3 score that was far below my stock even (dont remember it off the top of my head now). I say ok, the card must have clocked itself down or something. Try it once again while I'm watching, and here are the two things I notice:

The FPS is high through much of the first half...but every 5-6 seconds there is a jerk as if it just skipped a bunch of frames in a row. It will keep this up throughout the entire test.

The other thing I noticed, is during the vegetation test, the fps slowly degrades to numbers that are quite a bit lower than the stock 390/700 would even get, it then maintains this lower than stock fps throughout the rest of the test. If I clock the memory down to 755-760, this weirdness goes away. And the core doesnt affect the skipping/low fps in either way.

So here are my questions (btw I am new to O/Cing):

a) I can handle my mem not being able to clock 800 like other cards...but should it really be doing what it does when clocking it past what it can handle? Shouldnt I just be getting artifacts instead of skipping and fps degredation?

b) Why am I able to O/C the memory more when my core is higher?

c) Could this be a heat issue rather than a mem clock issue? As far as I know (touching the card after tests etc) the card is cooler than my GFTI4800 ran STOCK even at 480/750.

d) Lastly I've heard of vid cards clocking themselves down in certain situations. What would cause a vid card to clock down? and is it possible that mine is doing that when my mem is > 760?

Thanks for your help.

Sometimes when overclocking a video card, you get to a point where you will lose performance without seeing any artifacts.

There might be some GPU throttling going on also.When the temperature gets to a certain point,The card will take the core clock down to prevent damage.

Flash the XT to a 5950 Ultra like i did. I bought the same MSI card and used the latest Gainward 5950U BIOS. The card runs stable at 450/900 for me, but im having a CPU overheat issue right now so im not pushing it yet. Try that tho...

If hes having trouble going past 768,flashing it to 800 is going to fix it?
How is that possible? the card has to be stable at those speeds i you want to flash it successfully.

Thanks for your help, my guess is I got crappy samsung ram which once in a while appears on the MSI's and has a hard time o/cing. I'll take a look at the chips next time I pop open my comp...too bad I didn't get the Hynix ram :(

Back