• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show Desktop - lock individual window so it isn't minimized by Show Desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Lower right corner of Windows 7/8 Desktop has a show desktop link.

Is there a program or a way that would not totally disable that feature but lock in an individual desktop so it isn't minimized but every other window is.

In other words, if you have multiple monitors, sometimes you want to have one window permanently be displayed on monitor 2 while working as usual on monitor 1, minimizing/maximizing multiple windows at once by using the Show desktop link.

If you don't know of it it probably doesn't exist... You're easily one of the most knowledgeable windows users I've interacted with.

:)Hah good one, but for the record, this guy is:

redduc900

The keywords you'll probably want to search for are foreground and focus. Basically you're wanting to keep a window in the foreground even if it loses focus. I don't think this exists natively in Windows, you'll need to download a third party tool to accomplish that. No personal experience with these tools, but I'm sure there are dozens to chose from.

A work around that may or may not be beneficial to you is to use the Windows shortcuts for this. Windows key + D will return to your desktop (just like the button), but Windows key + M will just minimize windows on your active display. Might not exactly suite your needs, but it's a start.

Back