• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shrinking Zen I/O die

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I watched that yesterday and thought it was interesting. Not sure if he is speaking from some kind of insider knowledge. Or if it is just an educated and logical guess that this is what AMD will do.

I just watched the video.
I don't have enough fingers (forget the RGB toes) to count HOW many times AMD tried to BITE of more that it could chew. I'm talking about having a "Industry Leading IDEA" only to be 1~2 years late bringing it to market.
The BIGGEST one I can remember was the Phenom Chip.
AMD had already CRUSHED Intel with the IMC on the CPU. AMD had already CRUSHED Intel with the 1st Monolithic Dual Core. Now AMD was going to CRUSH Intel with the 1st Monolithic Quad Core <- Brakes ->.
They where jumping to a New node (65nm) and putting 4 Cores on 1 chip.
-> Intel had also released a 2 Core CPU. This is how AMD described Intel's effort "They took 2 Single Core Dies and Duck Taped them together". Eventually Intel also made Dual Monolithic CPU's.
Now Intel would beat AMD to be the 1st to launch a Quad Core CPU. It wasn't perfect - 2 Dual Core Dies "taped together" to make a Quad Core Die BUT they beat AMD by ~ 2 years??
AMD's Quad Core was - Late, Slower Than Planned, Higher TDP Than Planned, and had a TLB Bug :(

Please add any information that I missed was incorrect on -
Thank You :thup:

Back