• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF PSU ATX 12V pin is backwards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nealoc187

Registered
What the hell... The 4-pin ATX 12V connector on my Silverstone Zeus 560W PSU is backwards!

I bought this PSU about a year ago specifically for the fact that it would work with my old mobo (Asus A7N8X) which had a 20-pin ATX connector and would work with newer mobos that require a 24 pins or a 20 and a 4 pin power connection.

Anyways here is the problem, I got my new Mobo/CPU today (AsRock 4CoreDual-VSTA and E4400) and I'm trying to install them right now, but the 4-pin ATX 12V connector is messed up. There are 4 pins in a 2 by 2 arrangement, and two of the pins are "contoured" rather than perfect squares (just like any PSU connector is). But the wrong pins are contoured! I can't plug it into the mobo because it's like trying to put a round pegs into square holes and square pegs into round holes. So I dug out my old azz Antec 300W PSU and the pins on that are contoured correctly and plug right into the mobo as they should, but my expensive, newer PSU doesn't. What gives?

I though of perhaps cutting the connector off of each PSU and connecting the one that works to my Zeus, but I'm wary of doing that, how would I know that I've got the wires in the correct orientation? I don't want to go frying my mobo or CPU... any advice?

ah, well i just had a look at my ocz psu, and there were three four pin connectors. each had different "contoured" pin positions. the 4pin connector for 20+4 pin mobo connections has a contoured upper right and lower left pin. the 4-pin connector for the cpu, on the other hand, has contoured upper left and lower right pins. so, you're probably trying to connect the wrong 4-pin connector to your mobo power connector

shirker said:
ah, well i just had a look at my ocz psu, and there were three four pin connectors. each had different "contoured" pin positions. the 4pin connector for 20+4 pin mobo connections has a contoured upper right and lower left pin. the 4-pin connector for the cpu, on the other hand, has contoured upper left and lower right pins. so, you're probably trying to connect the wrong 4-pin connector to your mobo power connector

Thanks for your help, I saw your post in my other thread too. The problem with that is, there is only one single 4 pin (square) connector on this PSU...

However - I went digging through the box that this PSU came in and I found an adapter that connects to one of the 8 pin connectors, and shrinks it down to a 4 in connector that has the contours in the correct spots and plugs in. Now my only problem is figuring out if this is what I'm "supposed" to do here. I don't want to just go connecting things willy-nilly and fry something just because "hey, this fits" - I want to make sure I'm doing it the way it's meant to be done. I am thinking that using this adaptor is what is required, but I want to make sure.

Thats it shirker! We also answered the question in your other post, Neal.

Just as a heads up Neal try not to double post the same question in 2 sections.:beer:

I want to make sure I'm doing it the way it's meant to be done. I am thinking that using this adaptor is what is required, but I want to make sure.

Yes you'll be fine thats what its for.

Thats a very nice PSU meant for nicer MOBO's

Last edited:
dfonda said:
Thats it shirker! We also answered the question in your other post.

Just as a heads up Neal try not to double post the same questioon in 2 sections.:beer:

Yes you'll be fine thats what its for.

Thats a very nice PSU meant for nicer MOBO's

Yeah I actually didn't post that other thread with the intent of it being on this same topic, I posted it about the little connectors that go to the power switch and LEDs on the front of the case. But then I realized I had this more urgent problem, which was also power connector related so i edited that post and realized it wasn't really mobo-related anymore, it was PSU related so I posted about it in the PSU section. Sorry.

ummm i think that 8-pin is for your cpu.
17-163-111-07.jpg

17-163-111-04.jpg

looks like your 4-pin connector for the motherboard power can be attached to your 20pin. it also comes out of the same sleeve..

Anyhow Neal did you get all your questions answered?

I have 2 of those Asrocks if you need any more help.

Let us know how it turns out.:)

shirker said:
ummm i think that 8-pin is for your cpu.
17-163-111-07.jpg

17-163-111-04.jpg

looks like your 4-pin connector for the motherboard power can be attached to your 20pin. it also comes out of the same sleeve..

Yes the 4 pin I'm talking about can be connected to the 20 pin if I want it to be, but on this mobo the connector is only a 20 pin so there's no need for that. There is no 8 pin plug on this mobo anywhere... the 4 pin plug is up top by the CPU so it sounds plausible that it's for the CPU like you said.

This PSU has a 20+4 pin connector that you have in the picture there, two 6 pin connectors, and one 8 pin connector (which I can connect the 8 to 4 pin adaptor to, if necessary). That's it as far as connectors go (besides the normal flat connectors that go to HDDs and CDROMs and such).

Just so we're clear, you think that the "8pin to 4pin" adapter is the proper thing I need to connect to the 4 pin plug up by the CPU?

Well she's up and running - have yet to determine if everything is functioning properly but I'm looking at my normal windows desktop and icons right now. :D

dfonda - I do have a couple questions about this mobo but I don't have the ability to PM (I think I need 100 posts to do that, right)? Do you have an email or aim name I can talk to you on?

You have a PM see if you can reply.

I don't have any IM'ing set up. If the pm doesn't work start a thread in the "775" Mobo section and I'll reply to you there. If thats OK?

Doesn't that 8 pin connector in the pic come apart?

dfonda said:
Doesn't that 8 pin connector in the pic come apart?

Not on the ST56ZF - they just include an adaptor for 4 pin boards.

Nealoc187 said:
Just so we're clear, you think that the "8pin to 4pin" adapter is the proper thing I need to connect to the 4 pin plug up by the CPU?
absolutely. I didn't realize you were talking about the CPU 4-pin connector the whole time, I thought you were looking for the 20+4 cable for the motherboard power connector.

Back