• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SIS 650: incorporates T&L?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IZON

My girlfriends rig contains a northbridge SIS 650 integrated chip. I've searched SIS's website but I can't tell for sure if this chip incorporates T&L. My initial thoughts are 'mebbe it does mebbe it doesn't' all I know is it wont run EVE which needs T&L, but I need to know for sure, anyone shed some light on this? :)

Her rig Sony Vaio RX770: (she's a sucker for any anything w/ Sony stamped on it, she'd even buy the car if Sony made one, *shudders*)
P4 2.2Ghz/120gb hd/512mb ram/SIS650 integrated/ SIS7012 audio/ dvdrw 24x/cdrom 40x/ no idea about the mobo

It doesn't, if you mean T&L on the hardware. It can be done by the software. The only companies that have hardware T&L cards are nVidia(GeForce+), ATi(Radeon 7200+), and Matrox(Parhelia).

I don't know if this helps, but I know for a fact that the Sis 630/730 onboard video does not have hardware T&L.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty convinced myself that it doesn't have T&L now.

Gacedion, you mentioned software T&L...any clues as to who or where I might look for this?

Hum, you may find this interesting. Follow along and let me know what you think.....

I started on THIS page. It is a comparison of all SIS chipsets. Underneither your S650 chipset, it says that is uses SiS Real256 Graphics and the GPU core is SiS315 Core. .....

I then looked up the SIS315 core and found THIS. It doesn't say anything about T&L here. Hum, the search continues. I then did a Google search (I guess I should have started with this) and found THIS. The first three paragraphs say it all:

"Taipei Taiwan, December 11, 2000- Silicon Integrated Systems Corp. (SiS), a leading core logic and graphics supplier, today announced its new product SiS315 - the first 256-bit 2D/3D high-performance graphic engine supporting Transform and Lighting (T&L) for the mainstream desktop PC. By integrating a H/W T&L into their VGA, the SiS315 sets a new standard for the mainstream desktop PC market.

"With the recent advances in VGA technology, SiS are very excited about launching the first VGA chip that integrates a H/W T&L engine for mainstream desktop PC market", said Shing Wong, senior VP of SiS. "SiS believes in bringing high-end features such as T&L and 256-bit 3D engine into the mainstream desktop PC market and allowing users to enjoy such high features at lower cost"

Up to now T&L engines only existed in 3D workstations and high-end desktop PC. The T&L engine which is located in front of rendering engine, is capable of doing complex per-vertex multiple transformation and light calculations, creating more accurate and brighter images for the viewer. Traditionally, for a PC platform without T&L engine, all these jobs have to be processed by the CPU before sending the result to the rendering engine. Therefore, the SiS315 3D chip can considerably off-load the CPU loading when running 3D Applications and allow more computing power to focus on fancy effects on the next generation 3D games or interactive applications."

I guess it DOES have T&L, but I'm sure it is pretty limited.

Back