• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI Physics, good idea you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

If I had another 7800gtx for SLI, would it be pointless to get a physics card if/when Nvidia releases the SLI Physics drivers? :)

I thought that the CPU processed the physics and GPU did graphics. I know I read that GPU manufacturers were thinking of releasing a GPU that could do both. As of now though, I think that is the CPU's job. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

IMO, I think a dedicated physics card is a joke. Especially with DC's becoming mainstream. Game developers need to take advantage of that instead of writing a game optimized for a PPU.

The GPU is not designed to do the physics-type calculations (ie. short, repetitive calcs), and the dual core cpu is not optimized forr these types of calculations either, although it is better than the GPU by far. The PPU is specifically designed and optimized to do this. Why would you want to spend $300+ on a second vid card when the PPU will be cheaper and more efficient? And the idea of integrated PPU on the vid card is about the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time...
Serious discussion on the PPU here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=451023

chevro1et said:
The GPU is not designed to do the physics-type calculations (ie. short, repetitive calcs), and the dual core cpu is not optimized forr these types of calculations either, although it is better than the GPU by far.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTAwNSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

If the Havok physics engine can take advantage of an extra GPU to process physics, and a CPU is "by far" better than a GPU at doing physics-type calculations, then why can't a physics engine take advantage of a DC CPU?

Given the choice between the Nvidia SLI physics or a PPU though, I'll take the PPU because it was designed to do physics and it's cheaper.

The GPU SLI solution seems to be a more ideal solution currently. The video cards can be used for intense graphic situations on some games while can do physics in others. It may not be as powerful as a dedicated PPU, but it does give the best bang for the buck.

Once the PPU's come down in price will I think it's ideal. Compared to a $300 dollar video card and a $300 PPU, I'll take the video card. That way I can get great gaming performance now, and when games will be released with heavy physics later on I can buy the PPU cards for alot cheaper prices. A win-win situation. :)

SLI is supported in some games, the Physics processors will take over eventually, but right now, GPU processors will do the job nicely.

Back