• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI + Ultrawide Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexisvx

Registered
Hi all,
I am buying the Asus PG348Q (IPS/3440x1440/100hz). I currently have a GTX 970 and thinking of also upgrading my GPU along the new monitor.

The question I have is whether I should go for SLI or for the GTX 1070 (I can't afford the 1080).

I have read about SLI VS 1070 in terms of benchmarking etc and for my needs these options are the same. In terms of cost, I would much rather go for SLI but I am not sure how it will perform for this monitor.

Thanks

My Rig:
Windows 10
Motherboard: Asrock Z97 Extreme 4
CPU: i5 4690k 3.5Ghz O/C to 4.6Ghz
GPU: GeForce GTX 970 SSC
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V
RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws X - 4x4GB (DDR3 2133)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4

If you can swing it, a one card solution is always better. Not all games can use SLI and it isn't a "plug 'n play" set up. After looking in to the same question a few months ago I saved up the extra money for the 1070. It was definitely worth it. The power savings alone of one 1070 vs. two 970s would be substantial.
With that monitor you'll also benefit from 8 GBs of vram as opposed to 3.5 GB with two 970s.

If you can swing it, a one card solution is always better. Not all games can use SLI and it isn't a "plug 'n play" set up. After looking in to the same question a few months ago I saved up the extra money for the 1070. It was definitely worth it. The power savings alone of one 1070 vs. two 970s would be substantial.
With that monitor you'll also benefit from 8 GBs of vram as opposed to 3.5 GB with two 970s.

So would you say that SLI would be problematic and cause issues with the display?

If you're gaming on a 4k monitor you'll get better results (higher fps) with more vram available. Honestly, if you're gaming at 4k you should probably be looking at a GTX 1080 minimum, and even then you'll have to turn down some settings. A 1080 Ti would be better.

I'll buy this card and then that way later when it can't keep up I can just go buy a second one which will be cheap by then and run it in SLI and save money, instead of buying the latest and greatest tech on the market.

I think we've all told ourselves that at one point. It's a bad idea, SLI isn't about creating upgrade path unfortunately. SLI is for paying 2 times as much, so you can get 50% more performance when that tech is new.

3440x1440 is not 4K. It's more like 2.4K but still, you'll be much happier with yourself if you don't spend money on a second 970 for this purpose. Just turn down the settings on the games you play and keep the single 970 if that was the case.

Last edited:
I'll buy this card and then that way later when it can't keep up I can just go buy a second one which will be cheap by then and run it in SLI and save money, instead of buying the latest and greatest tech on the market.

I think we've all told ourselves that at one point. It's a bad idea, SLI isn't about creating upgrade path unfortunately. SLI is for paying 2 times as much, so you can get 50% more performance when that tech is new.

LOL, you are so right. I think I'll just go for the 1070.

Not only that but SLI benefits have apparently dropped off quickly over the last couple years worth of new games,

AND new tech such as HDR and whatever else might be just around the corner is often only supported by the latest generation of GPU's

Back