• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slight problem with connection..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mister Pink

Registered
Now when I say slight, I do mean slight; it's not even really a problem, per se, however, it is a nuisance; often times, for example, when I return home from school, I will try to connect to the internet, and it will not connect. After I restart the router and wait ten seconds, though, the connection works. I'm running an ADSL connection through a linksys router; the onboard LAN on my motherboard seems to be totally out of comission, so I'm using some old, generic smc Ethernet card. I really have no idea what the problem might be, so any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Do You Happen To Be Downloading Anything? Does Your PC Go Into Sleep Mode Or Do You Do That On Your Own? It Could Very Well Be Your Generic Card As Well.

try running some tests.. pings.. traceroutes, etc.

also check the ip configuration of your network card.

also try 'ping loopback' when this happens.

If You Ever Run Into This Problem Again You Can Also Try This Instead Of Restarting...Go To Command Prompt From Start Then Accessories...

Type This

Ipconfig /Release

Then After It Releases The Ip Type This

Ipconfig /Renew

while you're at it, just run 'ipconfig' without anything, copy it into notepad and paste it here the next time you're reconnected.

I think there is a firmware update you can install to help remedy the problem.
Look here.
You might want to make sure your NIC driver is up to date.
Also make sure your onboard LAN is disabled in the bios if you're using a separate network card.

Thanks guys; it's still not fixed, but just doing ipconfig commands is a lot easier than resetting the modem. I'm going to check into getting a new card, as none of my other systems are having this problem, I believe it has something to do with my networking card. Thanks for the advice.

Back