• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slipstream your favourite drivers into XP CD easily, hopefully no more floppy drive !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
Slipstream your favourite drivers into XP CD easily, hopefully no more floppy drive !

Of course, you'll need to do the slipstreaming itself 1st at a proper running computer and capable of burn the cd there like your current running one -> XPCreate

Already made my own new XP SP2 CD with all onboard devices drivers like Marvell ethernet, JMicron driver, Intel Raid for P5B-Deluxe except for the sound ! :D

slipstreaming is awesome. I made one for my parents so they can reinstall windows w/o user intervention if something goes wrong.

slipstreaming? man i'm a newb and a half... first time i heard that word

Slipstream is creating an alternate stream during the installation of the OS. Your slipping in an alteranate data stream(ADS). Basically you make a new fork during the install. It only exists to allow HSF. So that it will use both data and resource forks to store the content. Makes it handy to do a slipstream.

It is actually a loose term for what could be avery dangerous technique... ala viruses/ network hacks. If I remeber right it can even hide the true sizes of the files. Why it is never a great idea to grab a torrent of an install disk. While very useful it can be very dangerous.

If you read up on ADS (alternate data streams) you will get the concept of the "slipstream".

slipstreaming simply means to replace files on the installation media with newer files from newer service packs, saving you the trouble of having to install them manually.SLipstreamin can be done with only the XP CD and a SP offline installer. There are easier options like nlite tho. Programs like nlite also allow you to add your custom drivers to the CD, do registry tweaks out of the box, remove unwanted Windows components from CD and allow unattended installs of the OS and favourite programs, e.g firefox.

Alternate Data Streams are totally different thing: a feature of NTFS and can be used ANYTIME while running Windows. Has nothing to do with installing at all. In fact you can't create them while installing: ISO9660 on the CD has no concept of such streams and the installer won't do it. And you have no other method of editing files while installing.

custom90gt said:
slipstreaming is awesome. I made one for my parents so they can reinstall windows w/o user intervention if something goes wrong.

I do this on my setup and at one point I had it installing nero, word, and a few other misc programs that I wanted right on install along with all the updates. But stupid me I screwed up and overwrote the disk and back to square one. But at least its no operator install which I think is an excellent idea if anyone is going to slip stream even SP2 on there disk, makes life so much easier to let it do everything.

Slipstreaming is pretty kick butt. But if you change motherboards alot like me, you have to keep updating the drivers to the XP cd.

Back