• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i just got a Xonar Essence ST...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mjolnir

...AND IT DOESN'T WORK! =(. I thought it might've been my config on this particular machine.. But I tried it in my other rig too, and nothing happens. Sigh. It actually caused my bios post to freeze at 'Checking NVRAM', sometimes wouldn't even let my main comp boot up at all. In both comps it's NOT recognised as even existing. Installing the software gets halted because it says 'PLEASE INSERT AUDIO CARD THAT DOESNT WORK KTHNX'. But really any ideas? Did I get a Dud card? Or is there something I'm missing?

Doesn't work on either system, I made sure that Molex connector was in, as well as being solidly put into the PCI Slot. Man, I was really really looking forward to some new awesome sound going on..

Any other ideas? Nothing appears to be physically damaged on the thing :shrug:

Never heard of it. Can't get it in Aus it seems too lol. At least I can't find it.. Not easily lol. Sounds like a good idea, but I really want a sound card.. dunno why, Just do :p. Preferably one that works! Ha! :p

Anyone else got an ideas?

I've tried re-flashing my Bios to latest. I've tried swapping out my GPU for an older crappy one to make sure there was no conflict with HDMI-based cards (audio issues, etc blah blah). I reseated the thing like 20 times+. I could've broken the Molex connector if I made sure it was connected any harder lol. Grr.

Short of re-installing windows, I've done everything I could think of.. Doesn't work in either computer.. But only causes Booting issues with my Main comp. ('Checking NVRAM' post hang/not booting at all).

Can I safely assume it's a bad card? I don't feel like looking like the idiot who sent back a working part because I missed something silly ><.

You can get an Arcam Ardac that'll sound way way better.

Ya, bad card.

Mine has never given me an issue. I've used it in 2 different PCIeX1 slots and 2 PCIex16 (I have the STX).. Same card different interface.

THe MOLEX thingy is very tight and you really do have to push the plug in all the way but otherwise it never had a hard time recognizing it. The Xonar cards have very quick installing drivers and are recognized instantly IME. I've used my D2 on 3 different MOBOs with zero issues.

The ARDAC can be found for about 350CDN which means you can find it for 300USD. Just saying. Quality unit. Not 500 if you shop around.

and the uDac can be found for $70 :p

Just saying, I doubt it sounds triple the price better.

Card sent back.. You know.. Back to the topic of the sound card here.. ;).

Tested a couple more times in an older Socket 939 system with 5 PCI slots. Didn't work in any of the 3 I tried. here's hoping the turn around is quick and painless! =D

Got the new card today.. Worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever. My headphones now sound fantastic! Moreso than before! I can hear bits in music I couldn't before.. Man, So worth it! The Software is a bit finicky, but easily worked out after a good 5 minutes looking through the menus.

Back