• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So is 1.65V the max, safe voltage for DDR3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

On G-skill's forums a tech support rep. said the max safe voltage for my Ripjaws was 1.6V (or 0.1V over the stock 1.5V). But from what I've read it seems like everyone is saying up to 1.65V should be safe for all DDR3 RAM.

This is the type I have now: G-skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

JEDEC max safe is 1.975V ( for short time ). Since all manufacturers are in JEDEC then all DDR3 should be able to survive 1.975V. It doesn't change fact that longer work can kill some chips and some IC are simply not scalling with voltage so even if you set high voltage then it won't overclock much better.

I've never had any issues with DDR3 running for longer at 1.75V but I just see no point to keep any memory above that for 24/7.
I've never killed any DDR3 running up to 2V and some kits were running up to ~2.3V ( many boards won't let you set more than ~2.1V ).

For lower memory series I see no point to set much higher voltage as you won't make any special results anyway. That of couse depends from used IC but if you have Hynix IC ( and most RAM have it ) then you can set higher clocks without high voltage.

Back