• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socks5 proxy doesn't work on chromium browsers but only for some websites...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I have a socks 5 proxy set up using ssh on a vps. Recently clients have been unable to connect using any chromium based browser (specifically chrome, opera and vivaldi). I'm assuming its because of a recent update but am not sure. The latest versions which I downloaded to test all don't work. The instructions that used to work are here: https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/network-stack/socks-proxy For some reason, it only affects some websites but not others. google works, as does whatismyip.com. Yahoo and ebay were two examples that don't work. As far as I can tell, it seems that the connections start, it receives some data (on the order of hundreds of bytes), then just stops receiving data.

Even more strangely, the proxy works perfectly fine on Firefox and MS Edge.

I'm pretty lost at this point. I've just tried an older version of chromium, and that doesn't seem to work either. I'm going to go one more version back, but I'm guessing it won't work. Any ideas?

Back