• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some more recapping action [56K warning!]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
I got this old skool P4 board today. This board is a bonanza for anybody who like re-capping work. Welcome to crap-cap land. This board is full of the worst caps money can buy...i.e OST and G-Luxon. :rolleyes:

The board is 5V based, so all CPU VRM caps on either side of the VRegs can be replaced by 4V Sanyo SEPC's. I'll be populating every available spot around the CPU. The board has a 3 phase VRM (maybe VRM 9.x specs). You tell the number of phases by counting the inductors. Notice the tiny 10V 1000uF G-Luxons near the ATX connector. A Panasonic FM on my desk is twice the size at that rating. Since we already know that G-Luxon = crap, I'd speculate that the rating on the cap is no where near honest.

So lets look at the before (i.e before I rip this crap apart) pics:

scottp4board001xd4.jpg

scottp4board015pg5.jpg

scottp4board013nf6.jpg

scottp4board012jw7.jpg

scottp4board011yd1.jpg

scottp4board010bm1.jpg

scottp4board008be4.jpg

scottp4board007yl5.jpg

scottp4board006yz9.jpg

The astute reader will notice that in one of the pics, two FETs near the DIMM slots are standing bolt upright. I wonder why? Usually with D-Pak type IC's, the case is ground/heatsink, so I would be putting it horizontal on the MB. You can see that there is space on the PCB for that, yet it was not done. Perhaps an oversight? Also, note that some VRegs on the DIMM side and nearby are smaller than what is allowed by the silkscreen/PCB. Maybe somebody is cheaping out on components? I mean, this would ot surprise me, given that the caps which cost pennies are super crap.

As usual, the replacements will be:
  • Sanyo SEPC
  • Chemicon LXZ
  • Panasonic FM
  • Chemicon KY

Last edited:
Hi Super Nade, I told you to take it easy this weekend (lol) Believe me folks this Guy is GOOD !!!! His work is Outstanding.

Yo man! You know I get excited about such things. Had to get down here and finish up the CPU side at least. :D

Maybe I'm retarded, but I cannot for the life of me locate the Power/Reset_SW connector on the MB.
Is this like Dell boards where it just turns on when the PSU is on? If so I may be using a really dodgy PCI GFX card. :confused:

More pics:

The bad guys are tossed into the crapcap box.
:D

scottp4board004be4.jpg

scottp4board003dp1.jpg

scottp4board010qt6.jpg

Good guys take their place. :)

scottp4board009ra2.jpg

scottp4board008gz6.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work... more effort than I'd've put in on such a board, though.

That is, by far, the stupidest placement I have ever seen for a floppy connector. Just seeing that makes me want to punch the guy who designed that layout. :eek:

Also, I can't figure out what that line of rectangular black thingies is, on the edge of the board next to the DIMM slots. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.... what are they?

(more effort than I'd've put in on such a board, though.)
I would have to agree with you :) But this computer was just being used for interent and emails and the person does not want to spend the money (or afford) on an upgraded system. So there are no other options if the caps are blown. Since Super Nade has the brain and patience for this work that he enjoys so much i ask if he could try to fix it , and the price is so reasonable why not try to help a friend in need out. I am so impressed at what he can do to a motherboard it makes you wonder why the manufactuors do not do it right in the 1st place. now even if after he does his work it does not work it's the thought that counts. You just gotta be impressed with the quality of his work :) could you imagine what he could do with a new board :)

Good God, I'd love to bash the fool who laid out this board. As Thrash said, that FDD connector is in the worst possible location. The row of jumpers are for DDR1 v/s DDR2. Also, you absolutely need the manual to figure out the Panel connectors. The PCB silkscreen has no indications..LOL.

Speedpc is being to kind. Anybody with a bit of patience and interest can do this stuff. It is easy to do. :)

Thanks for the manual speed bump. :D

I recapped my Iwill DH800 a while back with Rubycons as the Nichicon were the bad ones that time.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=71904

Luckily it was only two caps but that 8 layer board solders like a solid 0.125" sheet of copper LOL. I needed a 100W iron to even touch the solder. Anything less and you only lifted pads after a few minutes :eek:

Back