• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Vaio Z series gpu not recognizable (After upgrading parts)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jandre

Registered
Yo guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-Z570N that came with vista, and an nvidia 9300m gs. Just recently during my visit to California I went to the Microcenter in Tustin and bought an ssd, win7, and a 2gb stick of ram. So, now I've upgraded my laptop to 4gb ram, new ssd, and freshly installed win7. Everything works great however I have lost a function which is quite vital (to me, at least).

This is the ability to switch between STAMINA and SPEED modes. This allowed me to utilize the gpu for the display in speed mode, or have the gpu disabled and utilize the cpu for the display in STAMINA mode. I've tried locating all drivers I could find that seem relevant on the web and none allowed me to recognize my gpu or even tell me if I am in STAMINA or SPEED mode (the green light should be on next to the switch, sony vaio users should know this). I also tried the most recent gpu drivers aswell as several random previous versions but the installation fails when the installer realizes there is no recognizable gpu. I've been on the sony esupport site and tried google searching similair issues but I've hit a dead end. Don't really feel like contacting Sony either, unless I absolutey have to.

Has anyone done something like this and been able to resolve an issue like this? Please let me know, any guidance or tips is appreciated. If worst comes to worst I'll try contacting Sony and see what they can say or provide but I have installed all drivers for my laptop model several times and no success. Win7 is fully up to date aswell btw.

Yo guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-Z570N that came with vista, and an nvidia 9300m gs. Just recently during my visit to California I went to the Microcenter in Tustin and bought an ssd, win7, and a 2gb stick of ram. So, now I've upgraded my laptop to 4gb ram, new ssd, and freshly installed win7. Everything works great however I have lost a function which is quite vital (to me, at least).

This is the ability to switch between STAMINA and SPEED modes. This allowed me to utilize the gpu for the display in speed mode, or have the gpu disabled and utilize the cpu for the display in STAMINA mode. I've tried locating all drivers I could find that seem relevant on the web and none allowed me to recognize my gpu or even tell me if I am in STAMINA or SPEED mode (the green light should be on next to the switch, sony vaio users should know this). I also tried the most recent gpu drivers aswell as several random previous versions but the installation fails when the installer realizes there is no recognizable gpu. I've been on the sony esupport site and tried google searching similair issues but I've hit a dead end. Don't really feel like contacting Sony either, unless I absolutey have to.

Has anyone done something like this and been able to resolve an issue like this? Please let me know, any guidance or tips is appreciated. If worst comes to worst I'll try contacting Sony and see what they can say or provide but I have installed all drivers for my laptop model several times and no success. Win7 is fully up to date aswell btw.

Looks like something got knocked loose or corrupted CMOS. (must clear CMOS and try again.)

Reminds me of when Windows XP was gay one day, refused to use the normal video driver, went to 16-colors
(which is not normal with XP, even with the generic video driver!)
(it looked like Windows 2000 and earlier without driver from GPU maker)

and gave me bull about Windows being unable to find resources for the video and that I must disable another device, even when there's zero resource conflicts!

It was back to normal after reseating the video card on my Asus A7N8X-X.

That's not the classic sign of a video card not being seated properly.
I usually get a POST failure and more than 1 bleep with a badly seated video card!

Last edited:
Hmm quite strange. I've dug into the BIOS even and nothing other than, boot priorities, system time, system information, and stuff about fingerprint sensors etc. Nothing relevant really...

When I'm off vacation and done moving to PA from The Netherlands (yayy going to the US!) and my issue is still not resolved I'll boot vista on my sig rig and copy any drivers I can locate onto an external storage medium and see if I can get them working on the laptop. That's the only thing I can think of doing, other than opening my laptop up and checking if everything is plugged in, seeded in correctly, not loose etc.

I was so excited when I saw that the guide txus., but the drivers that were linked to help me get STAMINA/SPEED mode working were dead :(. But thanks anyway, I'll try hunting down something similair.

Going to try installing the original vista video drivers for my lappy off the sony support and see if that works.

txus.palacios. I am forever grateful to you. My stamina/speed switches are now working and gpu is recognized!!!!!!!!!!!! What could I do to repay you? Cookies? No, but seriously. :attn::clap::D:):bday:

Back