• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sort files by date last viewed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I don't know if Bill Gates just called it something stupid to mess with me but I can't figure it out.

I have 26 files, titled A-Z. I would like to sort them, chronologically in the order in which they were last opened on my computer. How do I do this?

Here's what doesn't work:

Date
Date-
modified, accessed, acquired, completed, last saved, archived, created, modified, received, released, sent, taken.

I'm on Vista 64.

If it's relevant I watch tons of TV shows saved on my HDD and would like to sort the .ifo files(or better yet, the folder, but I'm not going get greedy with a multibillion dollar company that's been making operating systems for the entire world for the last 25 years) by when they were last opened.

Dunno if this works on Vista since I skipped it, this is Win 7 x64 explorer view.

Using the "details view" , right click on the column header to enable the column selection, choose the "more.." and will give you below dialog box, and tick "Date accessed" to enable it in the details view.

ColumnDetails.png

Once enabled, example below should be self explanatory.

Explorer View with Last Accessed.png

Hope this helps.

Date accessed does not do it. I can open a file, click date accessed a few times, and the order is set. Opening a different file, and double clicking date accessed and the order is exactly the same.

To enable Last Access time updates, try running this command from an administrative command prompt...

C:\>fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 0

Okay I ran the command, "date accessed" still doesn't work and I can't seem to find "date last accessed" or "last accessed" in the list of details to choose from. I tried "Last seen" but that doesn't work.

Weird. Opening a folder and going to details view, nothing under date accessed is changed, but when I hit F5 everything under DA says the current time. Opening a file a few minutes later doesn't update the DA time for it, and F5'ing the folder again doesn't change the time anymore.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...anipulate-file-time-stamps-in-windows/5034280

According to that:

"How Windows handles time stamps
The Windows operating systems handle time stamping differently depending on the file system in use, since this is actually a file system functionality. The major difference is in the resolution time, which can vary from 10 milliseconds for "create time" on FAT-formatted files to one hour for "access time" on NTFS-formatted files. Another difference is in the way the time is recorded. FAT uses the local time that is set in your operating system’s regional settings, but NTFS uses Universal Time Coordinate (UTC) to record times (so as not to be affected by time zones and daylight savings time)."

Win 98 ftw imo

Open the registry and check to make sure the NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate DWORD value is set to 0, under the following key...

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

Thank you redduc, it already was.

It appears that things are now working for the most part. Some stuff has a last accessed date of today but my .ifo files are actually showing. I guess maybe the system has to rebuild, like Will Smith and that chick did in the alternate ending to that movie with the dog.

Thanks!

Back