• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound dampening works?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shinkansen

Registered
How effective are the sound dampening panels? I know this is subjective. I have a Corsair 650D. Other than the cable-side panel, the window-side panel doesn't have much metal available for any sound dampening. Does it offer much fan noise reduction in so small an area -- and is there much sound transmitted behind the MOBO (not to mention the cable area is already well packed and may not have much room for sound deadener).

It does more than nothing, but with the limited space, I can't see it doing too much. If you don't have a lot of space, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not to mention, if you have airflow over that area, it is going to catch dust quite efficiently.

If you care that much about noise you can get bigger lower rpm fans and you can watercool.

It wont help that much. The best way to reduce noise is put silicone on the fans where they mount.

I water cool my CPU and have 200mm intake and 2x 140mm exhaust fans. I don't have much noise at all, but just wondered whether the sound dampening panels did much. Mostly curiosity.

I've sound-dampened several cases, mostly full towers, in the past, and if you maximize the effort you can get noticeable results. Of course, I am talking about rigs with more than a couple 120mm or larger fans, and without windows. To me the biggest problem has been added weight and heat retention. With the rig you've described, I'd think the only sound control you gain would be from perhaps fan controllers.

I've used 4 Fractal design cases lately and the sound deadening does work but..... When you remove the fan cover plates and install fans, the sound deadening starts to become much less effective.

The Fractal mid tower weighs in at 25 lbs empty and 42 lbs assembled. Shipping weight on this system was 47 lbs with the box and packing according to UPS.

its usually opposite the source of the noise is where its strongest, you can get two types of dampening to, one to lower the background humming, and the other takes the edge of the high pitch squeal of some delta's/san aces etc.

How effective are the sound dampening panels? I know this is subjective. I have a Corsair 650D. Other than the cable-side panel, the window-side panel doesn't have much metal available for any sound dampening. Does it offer much fan noise reduction in so small an area -- and is there much sound transmitted behind the MOBO (not to mention the cable area is already well packed and may not have much room for sound deadener).

It's sort of a last touch, kind of like buying those 20$ gentle typhoons... the last step. For some people already at that level, it's part of any new heatsink purchase, but there are many much more effective steps prior. In my case it comes standard (silverstone FT02B) and seems to help a bit with noises originating deep within the case but has little impact on fans with direct contact with the "outside world". In other words, if you can see the blades, odds are it won't help, but if you can't, it may minimize extra noise produced by your graphics cards, or heatsink fans, etc.

Back