• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP2 Loading Times Suck!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I've had problems in the past with SP2 not installing properly hiding hardware, no sound etc. But I've overcome them just over a BIOS update anyways I've recently purchased some GEIL 1GB PC3200 400mhz DDR High Speed Memory since come off it you really need this sort of thing now a days to play games at decent speeds. I've also noticed since having this memory I thought my performance would be fast I mean a blink of an eye opening windows and loading times for games.

Games are faster I must admit but I've also noticed that it takes over 1 min to load past that annoying Windows XP screen with the blue bar. Before installing SP2 that would just flick on & off. I like SP2 cause it's pop blocker is alright and security wise I just feel abit safer but performance wise it's sucks has anyone noticed slow system's since installing for them selves.

I had the loading screen for me stay for like 45 seconds until just a few days ago when I decided to try emptying out my Prefetch folder (C:\Windows\Prefetch). One delete and reboot later and windows takes EONS less time to boot :) Not garunteed to work, but it's worth a shot!

JigPu

Just when I was about to post a thread asking how to make XP SP2 load time go down, I see this. Thanks for the info guys!

BTW dicecca, I think I'll wait until v2.0 is done to get TweakXP. I have the link handy, though, just in case I get really sick of it. Thanks again.

I tried JigPu's method earlier when I re-installed (after Yoper killed my HDD) and it was a breeeze. I read somewhere that we should not delet the PreFetch folder, only empty it. Is that true JigPu?

Super Nade said:
I tried JigPu's method earlier when I re-installed (after Yoper killed my HDD) and it was a breeeze. I read somewhere that we should not delet the PreFetch folder, only empty it. Is that true JigPu?

Correct. XP uses the Prefetch folder to cache commonly-used programs and applications. Eventually, it gets so full that it bogs down the entire system in the process. However, it serves a necessary purpose of allocating disk space and resources first to those things we run most often. So deleting this folder will do more harm than good.

deception``

deception`` said:
Correct. XP uses the Prefetch folder to cache commonly-used programs and applications. Eventually, it gets so full that it bogs down the entire system in the process. However, it serves a necessary purpose of allocating disk space and resources first to those things we run most often. So deleting this folder will do more harm than good.

deception``
I think Windows will automatically recreate the Prefetch folder if deleted though (not sure, never did it...) so it probably won't do any harm. If it dosen't though, you're absolutely right.

JigPu

Back