• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speaking of OEM's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

are ultra and aspire the same company?

my aspire, running my pumps and giving 10V has a board marked "ATX 66B" and the big transformer "66A"

a quickie google for "model ATX 66B" led me here, complete with Engrish, a Very Good PSU review, and .... an ultra.
with the same board. different transformer though.

have a look: http://translate.google.com/transla...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

interesting, or common knowladge that i missed?
"becoming dim, considerably"
heh.

Not that I'm aware. Most Ultra PSU's are OEM Wintech, while most if not all Aspires are OEM Youngyear. The only Youngyear Ultra has used to my knowledge is the original X-Connect.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Not that I'm aware. Most Ultra PSU's are OEM Wintech, while most if not all Aspires are OEM Youngyear. The only Youngyear Ultra has used to my knowledge is the original X-Connect.

so thats a yes then... well, not that they are the same company, but use youngear. same OEM- Same PSU, a few different parts and features. (heatsinks, caps, and transformer "revisions"[?])
very interesting. ive been reading up on the X-connect lots of talk of it lately, and know all i thought i needed to know about my aspire, specifically, how "not good" is is, but it runs the pumps and leaves the real work to the fortron...
hmmm... interesting.

Exhibit B:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=470430&highlight=ultra
exact same layout and caps. identical board and model number.

so we have a list of the goodies, here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=470828
how about a list of... the opposite ranked best to worst in the same way?
its very helpful, and im just starting to reasearch my OEM's for a new purchace, but thats for another thread - anyway, my interest is now sparked in PSU oem's...

Edit 2: more fun:
see the post from "gotchaforce" about halfway down.
Whoops!

"Taiwan Young Year now makes them. The same company that makes the PSU's for Rosewill, Aspire, and MGE."

its a neat read.

Last edited:
orionlion82 said:
how about a list of... the opposite ranked best to worst in the same way?

You mean a list of the worst out there? Impossible - too much crap out there. You think you have them all, and then a new one pops up.

"Taiwan Young Year now makes them. The same company that makes the PSU's for Rosewill, Aspire, and MGE."

Not entirely correct - Aspire is predominantly Youngyear, but at least Rosewill is not. They use mostly ATNG, who are mediocre themselves, but not quite as bad as Youngyear. MGE uses Seventeam in some models, which is significantly better than Youngyear and I daresay almost as good as FSP.

aww, heck. the link isnt there anymore. wtf?

anyways that quote was quoted, and i diddnt say it. it came from a linked site that... well, the link i posted is gone... hmmm...

i would love to know who makes what and for whom and generally how good they are - just off the cuff like that - for any product really...
thank you! great information, oklahoma wolf, as usual.
i appreciate it.

Back