• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SpeedFan 4.40 utility-any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soldierguy

Hi all

I'm a computer noob and I'm looking for some sort of "fan monitoring/controller type utility" that I can run and use on my
desktop or whatever. Something that would allow me to see temps,voltages etc. And I just bumped into this item when I Googled-its a free tool
and all, but I don't know anything about this item or a "trusted"
location to download from etc.

Appreciate any help or suggested alternatives.

Thanks
Tom

Welcome to OCF.

SpeedFan is a utility that myself and many others have used for years. I'm using it right now, in fact... It's not the prettiest program, and sometimes it can get confused as to what sensor pertains to what part, and occasionally the sensors report weird data so you'll see things like temperatures alternating between 127C and -43C every few seconds, and the front left-end squeaks, but other than that, it works okay.

Homepage is here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Download link here:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan440.exe

For system monitoring you can also Google "CoolMon", which is an old program that does pretty much the same thing.

speedfan is great as long as it works with your motherboard and fans.. it doesnt work with everything, but it was awesome in my old gateway.. not so good for my current system which is why i got a manual sunbeam rheobus fan controller

Haha, sounds like a lovely solution perfect!! Let me add that half the time it doesnt control fan speeds on fans that should be able to be controlled by it as well. Though sadly, for software fan control outside the BIOS, it may be the best option especially on older systems. Otherwise, pony up the $35 and get a fan controller.

Temps for Intel CPU's = Realtemp or Coretemp
Temps for AMD CPU's = Coretemp

Voltage monitoring - depends. Everest will show a lot, and your motherboard may have its own utility from the MFG website.

It would help us to help you if you listed your system specs. :)

Don't trust speedfan for voltages, fan speeds, GPU temps or anything but CPU temps.

Never had a problem with CPU temps from speedfan but GPU temps have always been crazy (over 92 degrees when idle... lol) and my +3v rail is over 90v...

Realtemp is the best piece of software for monitoring CPU temps IMO but speedfan will do the job =)

my system specs/speedfan 4.4

Hey all thanks for your responses, and one of you asked that i give my
system specs etc--Good idea. Here's what I'm working with. I assembled this machine last year from some of the less expensive things available at the time. I started with Vista 64, but in Nov I upgraded in place to WIN7. I'll give that speedfan 4.4 a test-- I appreciate your help. I try to be a pc gamer + user in general--and when I upgraded to WIN7 my "onboard" ASUS mobo software that I had been using for a lot of data and overclocking "button pushing" has not functioned. It's been a common problem with ASUS suite+, but haven't executed a solution yet. Although I've read many posts on the subject. Many gamers tell me I don't really need it. So I'm trying to better acquaint myself with the BIOS etc for these purposes. That's the main reason I looked for and joined this forum. So I'm mostly looking at all the existing posts that answer so many of my noob questions.

I appreciate your help.

Tom

Cosmos Cooler Master 1000 case
Antec 650w Trio power supply
ASUS Formula Rampage mobo
Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66ghz, 8mb cache
Corsair Dominator 8gb, DDR2 1066 ram
2 Radeon msi HD4870 gpu’s 512mb 256 bit GDDR5 in Crossfire
WD Velociraptor 300gb 10K rpm SATA hard drive
Steel series laser gaming mouse
Stealth Switch 2 floor switches for gaming

Fan Controller

Hey all

Earthdog you mentioned a "fan controller". I've never used one and I'm reading Newegg reviews etc for info. I've got lots of drive space etc. and I was looking at a Zalman MFC1 Plus-B Black 6 Channel Multi Fan
Controller for $38+s&h at Newegg. Would something like this work for me? Do you have a favorite? The reviews of this look good, but I've never had a fan controller so don't really know anything--just cruising what's available. etc.

Tom

SpeedFan 4.40 utility installed

Hi all

I went ahead and installed the SpeedFan 4.4 utility, and its working cool and showing me what's what. Really cool diagnostic. Thanks.

Tom

Hi, I have been trying to config speed fan for rampage formula but no luck...
I found this on google and wondered If I could get some help with configuring speedfan on my rampage formula?

If not then can u direct me to a better place.

Thanks
crazydrve

Back