• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spire Eclipse 2 Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its a decent CPU cooler from the reviews I've seen. I doubt I'll make an enormous difference though. The best cooling you can get before going custom water is the Corsair H100.

Its a decent CPU cooler from the reviews I've seen. I doubt I'll make an enormous difference though. The best cooling you can get before going custom water is the Corsair H100.

I was going to get that H100 but some have said it was over kill for what I have. Want to get what I have to 4.8Ghz on air and I'm cool with that. The hyper 212 will get me to 4.6Ghz, but will this be an improvement?

I've not seen any direct comparisons so its hard to tell. By the way, whats wrong with overkill when it comes to cooling? Considering its summer here in Australia right now, I'm accustomed to sitting there sweating even before the computer is turned on adding its heat to the room. It's always better to have too much cooling than too little.

Heck, I even changed the fans on my H100 to 2x Delta 253CFM monsters.... Thats a fair bit more air than the max 90CFM that the stock fans can do.... Had to order them over from the US as we don't have any local resellers for high performance fans. Now thats overkill ;)

Last edited:
I've not seen any direct comparisons so its hard to tell. By the way, whats wrong with overkill when it comes to cooling? Considering its summer here in Australia right now, I'm accustomed to sitting there sweating even before the computer is turned on adding its heat to the room. It's always better to have too much cooling than too little.

Heck, I even changed the fans on my H100 to 2x Delta 253CFM monsters.... Thats a fair bit more air than the max 90CFM that the stock fans can do.... Had to order them over from the US as we don't have any local resellers for high performance fans. Now thats overkill ;)

Good point. Summer there, really? Its winter here. Acually a warmer than usual winter.

In my review of that heatsink, I found that it performs decently, but can be beaten fairly easily in the price/performance category, as well as in outright performance. If you want to see a better representation of it's performance as compared to even more heatsinks, look at the "Stock Performance Comparison" graph in my last published review. It is a low-mid performing heatsink at best.

The good doctor has spoken. His word is often the last word for me. Unbiased and legit. I.m wasted right now messaging on my mobile. Maybe not best to listen to me

In my review of that heatsink, I found that it performs decently, but can be beaten fairly easily in the price/performance category, as well as in outright performance. If you want to see a better representation of it's performance as compared to even more heatsinks, look at the "Stock Performance Comparison" graph in my last published review. It is a low-mid performing heatsink at best.

Wow thanks. See I picked this up for $40 out the door at Micro Center. I currently have the Hyper 212 and wanted to upgrade. Thought maybe this was a solution. With my 212 my temps are 77-78c (in IntelBurn) for a overclock of 4.6k, 1.375vcore. I'm wanting to get to 4.8k. You think this cooler will get me there?

You should see a bit better performance, but not earth-shattering. The biggest problem with the Thermax Eclipse II is the fact that the outer 2 heatpipes will not contact the IHS of your processor at all when installed, making those 2 heatpipes be very inefficient at heat removal. If they had gone with a more conventional style base with the heatpipes buried into the base, they would have gotten better performance out of it. The only processors that it actually has any contact with the outer 2 heatpipes and the IHS are with AMD processors and they barely contact the IHS on them. AMD procs have a huge IHS as compared to a Sandy Bridge. Also, the mounting hardware is very crude, compared to your present Hyper 212.

My suggestion would be to return the heatsink back to MC and use that $40 to buy a better design such as the Thermalright True Spirit 140 or True Spirit. Both of those should smoke the Ecplise II and the Hyper 212.

You should see a bit better performance, but not earth-shattering. The biggest problem with the Thermax Eclipse II is the fact that the outer 2 heatpipes will not contact the IHS of your processor at all when installed, making those 2 heatpipes be very inefficient at heat removal. If they had gone with a more conventional style base with the heatpipes buried into the base, they would have gotten better performance out of it. The only processors that it actually has any contact with the outer 2 heatpipes and the IHS are with AMD processors and they barely contact the IHS on them. AMD procs have a huge IHS as compared to a Sandy Bridge. Also, the mounting hardware is very crude, compared to your present Hyper 212.

My suggestion would be to return the heatsink back to MC and use that $40 to buy a better design such as the Thermalright True Spirit 140 or True Spirit. Both of those should smoke the Ecplise II and the Hyper 212.

Ok Doc its going back. I was looking for those suggestions you gave at Micro Center and didnt see them there. See its an easy thing to just go down the street to get them. Some one suggested maybe Thermaltalks Frio:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0333155

Or Be Quiet Dark Knight:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340872

Think any of theses are better? Miro Center guy said the Frio would be the best but rather get an expert opinion here. Thanks in advance.
Fred

Just thought I'd chime in with my Eclipse II experience. I agree that you can do better for the money. The real value of this cooler is that it is only 152mm tall... compared to the standard 159-160mm tower height. My most recent build used a smaller case and my good ol' Xiggy Dark Knight wouldn't fit. :( If you have height limitations of a narrow case, it's tough to beat for an air cooler. If you don't have height issues, then definitely get something else. I find the build quality to be just OK. Plus you'd probably have to dump more money to get different fans- I can't fathom why Spire didn't include PWM fans with the cooler. Isn't that standard by now? Plus you may need to purchase "additional hardware". See below.

A special shout-out to muddoktor: when I was researching heatsinks and settled on the Eclipse II, your tip about using the #6 fender washers for the install in your review was spot on. Thanks!

Just thought I'd chime in with my Eclipse II experience. I agree that you can do better for the money. The real value of this cooler is that it is only 152mm tall... compared to the standard 159-160mm tower height. My most recent build used a smaller case and my good ol' Xiggy Dark Knight wouldn't fit. :( If you have height limitations of a narrow case, it's tough to beat for an air cooler. If you don't have height issues, then definitely get something else. I find the build quality to be just OK. Plus you'd probably have to dump more money to get different fans- I can't fathom why Spire didn't include PWM fans with the cooler. Isn't that standard by now? Plus you may need to purchase "additional hardware". See below.

A special shout-out to muddoktor: when I was researching heatsinks and settled on the Eclipse II, your tip about using the #6 fender washers for the install in your review was spot on. Thanks!

When I was researching coolers I stumbled on the Eclipse. A few reviews had it in the top 10. Well after the doc's opinion I went and bought Thermaltake Frio. I'm like 6c to 8c cooler now. I might make it to 4.8khz, 4.7khz should be do-able. I got the fans running on high, like a hoover, but the noise isnt a bother. My case is big and heavy.

You are very welcome. :) I had a lot of problems getting it to tighten down correctly until I got the fender washers for it. And the heatsink I reviewed next from them, the Gemini, did come with washers to keep the springs from binding up. But the Gemini came with weaker fans which doesn't make sense, especially since they also included a pci fan controller with it.

When I was researching coolers I stumbled on the Eclipse. A few reviews had it in the top 10. Well after the doc's opinion I went and bought Thermaltake Frio. I'm like 6c to 8c cooler now. I might make it to 4.8khz, 4.7khz should be do-able. I got the fans running on high, like a hoover, but the noise isnt a bother. My case is big and heavy.

I'm glad you are happy with the choice of the Frio. I haven't personally tested it, but another forum member had and found it to be a competent cooler.

Back